Trackman Teaching learning curve

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a question(s) for those forum members lucky enough to teach with a Trackman:

If you have a modicum of intelligence, are already quite comfortable with the D-Plane notion and diligently apply yourself, how long would it take for a virtual Trackman rookie to get up to speed using the device in a teaching setting? Further, if you already teach with a FlightScope, how big is the jump in understanding and application if you start using a Trackman?

Thanks in advance for any replies...

Last edited:
I was really hoping somebody, anybody, could give me an answer of sorts here so I can figure out what sort of pace I have to be on to get competent with the technology...

For me I had a very basic understanding of the concepts but until I actually hit balls while TM was running then put
ball flight vs numbers in my head was when all the details started to sink in.
Kind of a wide open question, no?

O,

I have taught with both FS and TM and find that I can use both systems equally well.

As far as using them for teaching, I believe that there is a learning curve. I had daily access to FS for months before I began using them for daily instruction. There is a comfort level that you need. You want to understand the terminology and cause/effect. They are amazing tools, but I know very good instructors who own the technology and rarely use it. It's a shame but it takes work to use it effectiveley. I had the pleasure of watching Brian teach for an entire day at Overbrook and his use of TM is remarkable.

BTW, they are putting the finishing touches on my studio and it will be open in the next few days and I look forward to having you visit.

For me I had a very basic understanding of the concepts but until I actually hit balls while TM was running then put
ball flight vs numbers in my head was when all the details started to sink in.
Kind of a wide open question, no?

Matt. I tried to qualify it a bit by adding reasonable competency, diligence and an appreciation for D-Plane physics, but it's still a bit wide open, Matt, I agree.
People learn different things at different rates so I was just trying to canvas a few members who are intimate with this topic and garner an overall feel.

DC and Eric, Thanks for your input.
Eric, I'm excited to come and see your studio. See you soon when you're up and running...

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
O,

I have taught with both FS and TM and find that I can use both systems equally well.

As far as using them for teaching, I believe that there is a learning curve. I had daily access to FS for months before I began using them for daily instruction. There is a comfort level that you need. You want to understand the terminology and cause/effect. They are amazing tools, but I know very good instructors who own the technology and rarely use it. It's a shame but it takes work to use it effectiveley. I had the pleasure of watching Brian teach for an entire day at Overbrook and his use of TM is remarkable.

BTW, they are putting the finishing touches on my studio and it will be open in the next few days and I look forward to having you visit.

Can I come too?

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
I have a question(s) for those forum members lucky enough to teach with a Trackman:

If you have a modicum of intelligence, are already quite comfortable with the D-Plane notion and diligently apply yourself, how long would it take for a virtual Trackman rookie to get up to speed using the device in a teaching setting? Further, if you already teach with a FlightScope, how big is the jump in understanding and application if you start using a Trackman?

Thanks in advance for any replies...

As soon as you see the same type shots putting up similar numbers you get a cause and effect awareness. Also, you learn pretty fast what numbers matter for different swing types and which changes produce a domino effect

Yep. It takes a little time on it to look at the whole screen and read it. But if you stay on top of it, every variable on that page is related and paints a big picture for you. Closed face slices, open face hooks, it's all there

Coincidentally enough, I had my very first Trackman session today (so very excited)
It's very strange to have to keep "handballing" the numbers in your head rather than just intuitively figuring out what happened viz a viz ball flight, but you get used to it.

Still, I had an odd scenario whereby I ploughed through a lot of driver shafts to get my spin rate down from 4000rpm but couldn't do it, even after I changed my AoA from -2 to +2. My face to path was stable and decent, as was my VSP at about 46 - 47. Swing speed was 109mph and I was hitting it about 230 in the air - Pathetic.

Now I couldn't understand what was causing this; I was trying so hard to remember everything from this forum, poring over the figures on the screen, convinced I was missing something and berating myself for being a nitwit...And that seems to be the rub for me: I've no doubt that numbers in isolation - even good ones - are easy to understand, but you need to juxtapose, overlay, compare and contrast two or more to get to the nitty-gritty of unusual outcomes. And I'm far too wet behind the ears to get a hold of it right now.

Still, I had an odd scenario whereby I ploughed through a lot of driver shafts to get my spin rate down from 4000rpm but couldn't do it, even after I changed my AoA from -2 to +2. My face to path was stable and decent, as was my VSP at about 46 - 47. Swing speed was 109mph and I was hitting it about 230 in the air - Pathetic.

109mph is fast me old codge. 230yds is a crazy distance for that speed. I'm curious as the the reason...Post them numbers!

If you went from a Senior flex to a White Board, you might change the spin 50 rpm.

Changing spin loft is what changes spin.

Range balls?

No, Mike. Geniune pills from Acushnet Pharmaceuticals, Inc.

ParHunter. Now that is a cool little thing there. Every time I inserted lower spin figures, my carry went up some 30 yards - I wish the swing were as easy as punching a keyboard:mad:

Kevin and Wuls. I'm gonna try and get those numbers, if they were saved, in the next couple of days

Virtuoso. Spin loft is dynamic loft minus AoA, correct? But it didn't seem to matter what loft or AoA or shaft I had going, my spin was stubbornly fixed . And I must admit I'm not sure how to change it or how to grapple with its usefulness. (A product, of course, of my rather feeble TM knowledge. )The over-arching conclusion for me is that my golf swing is a pile of old wank and I shouldn't be allowed anywhere near a golf club:(

I'm looking forward to a session with Eric Kennedy in the next week or so at his new studio so I can get myself somewhat useful in this area and actually contribute meaningfully to the forum

Last edited:

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
No, Mike. Geniune pills from Acushnet Pharmaceuticals, Inc.

ParHunter. Now that is a cool little thing there. Every time I inserted lower spin figures, my carry went up some 30 yards - I wish the swing were as easy as punching a keyboard:mad:

Kevin and Wuls. I'm gonna try and get those numbers, if they were saved, in the next couple of days

Virtuoso. Spin loft is dynamic loft minus AoA, correct? But it didn't seem to matter what loft or AoA or shaft I had going, my spin was stubbornly fixed . And I must admit I'm not sure how to change it or how to grapple with its usefulness. (A product, of course, of my rather feeble TM knowledge. )The over-arching conclusion for me is that my golf swing is a pile of old wank and I shouldn't be allowed anywhere near a golf club:(

I'm looking forward to a session with Eric Kennedy in the next week or so at his new studio so I can get myself somewhat useful in this area and actually contribute meaningfully to the forum

Until then.......piss....off (Gorgeous George)

Ekennedy will get things straight. Can't wait to see his studio in August

Until then.......piss....off (Gorgeous George)

Ekennedy will get things straight. Can't wait to see his studio in August

"Put a lid on it, Shieldsy, before you get bitten...And you don't wanna get bitten nah, do you, sweetheart?"

Yeah, looking forward to the trip out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.