Transition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can anyone please define what transition means to them? Explain what you do body-wises during the transition and then in the initial start down move? What are your thoughts on a start down move and how do you personally achive this to get in the right positions. I'm not looking for a book style definition, just some swing thoughs or feels. All comments welcome.

Thanks.

Last edited:
I consider myself someplace near a high school diploma in terms of golf knowledge (several folks around here I believe to be golf graduate students and professors!). But since you said all comments welcome, I'll toss in my two cents.

Transition, to me, is the point where my arms stop going up and start coming down -- like my hands reach their highest and farthest point away from ball. I should say that it has something to do with counterfall and weightshift, but I can't think about it that way -- it just happens and instead I am concious of my hands.

Erik_K

New
Think of how you 'load' a fishing rod. You don't swing it back, stop, and then swing it forward toward the water.

As you are swinging the rod back, you then 'shift' directions - this change of direction is what bends the rod. See what happens when you swing the rod back and come to a complete stop. You've removed a lot of the dynamics.

Good players probably don't think about the transition, but it's a feel to them. Some my feel it in their hands and shoulders. For others it's in the feet and legs.

I believe Brian elaborates on the transitions in the Soft Draw video with the 'back and forth' drill. Before you swing down, it's important to be well settled into your left side. That is to say the weight is gathered on the left foot (or left instep) before the back swing is completed. Keep in mind that the golf swing takes place in like 2 seconds, so it's going to seem like everything happens at once.

Perhaps another facet to this discussion is the 'start down' move which might be another name for transition.

What do good players do as they are finishing their backswing? To me, there is no more important move in the swing then what/where the body is doing at this critical moment.

Erik

That is easily one of the best GD articles I've read for sure drulf, thanks for the input.

Good post Erik. I agree that this discussion should definitly include the first move down because I don't think of the transition as just the end of the backswing but the start of the downswing, which IMO is paramount in an effective swing. I'm going to edit the op to include the start down move.

Thanks guys, keep em coming.

Transition to me is when you start to go from the backswing to the downswing. I think it's the moment that your backswing stops and your body starts to move forward, but your club has not started downward. So you're not really in the downswing with your club, but your body is transitioning from the backswing to the downswing.

For me, I more or less feel:

1. Getting into pitch elbow
2. Good footwork to prevent my hips from rotating to fast and spinning out.
3. Maintain focus on the ball.

3JACK

I found this in Tom Watson's article:

"The lower body starts forward while the upper body is still going back: The left hip starts to turn toward the target as the shoulders continue to coil."

Is that possible? If so, please direct me to a video. I would like to see it.

Pretty sure it's covered in Soft Draw, been a while since I've watched though.

Pretty sure it's covered in Soft Draw, been a while since I've watched though.
You need to read that again and think about it. I know the clubhead can still be going back while the lower body starts the downswing, but the upper body and shoulders still going back while the lower body starts the downswing??? I don't think so. Oh well, just another pro giving misleading instruction.

Last edited:
IMO it's a feel for Tom. In Soft Draw, Hogan's counterfall move may be what he is refering to?

Last edited:

Dariusz J.

I found this in Tom Watson's article:

"The lower body starts forward while the upper body is still going back: The left hip starts to turn toward the target as the shoulders continue to coil."

Is that possible? If so, please direct me to a video. I would like to see it.

Not only possible, but biokinetically best scenario. I'd recommend watching post-secret Hogan as the finest example of it.

Cheers

P.S. Transition = a biomechanical process of chaning the orientation of the motion. The shortest definition possible.

Not only possible, but biokinetically best scenario. I'd recommend watching post-secret Hogan as the finest example of it.

Cheers

P.S. Transition = a biomechanical process of chaning the orientation of the motion. The shortest definition possible.
Can you give me a link to a video that proves it can be done? If not, don't reply. I'm getting bored with this nonsense.

Dariusz J.

ej20

New
Well,I can definitely see it with a young Nicklaus from the bird's eye view angle,not so clear on other swings.I suppose it is possible but don't try this at home boys and girls.Getting the hands and club still going back while the lower body goes forward is hard enough let alone the shoulders.Something might break and probably won't heal.

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
Is it possible that the lower body move is putting more down pressure on the arms and shaft giving the appearence that the backswing isnt completed?

Well,I can definitely see it with a young Nicklaus from the bird's eye view angle,not so clear on other swings.I suppose it is possible but don't try this at home boys and girls.Getting the hands and club still going back while the lower body goes forward is hard enough let alone the shoulders.Something might break and probably won't heal.

Watch Jamie Sadlowski's Driver swing again, just before the clubhead is moving towards his knee :eek: his hip will slide. The movement is very clear.

ej20

New
Watch Jamie Sadlowski's Driver swing again, just before the clubhead is moving towards his knee :eek: his hip will slide. The movement is very clear.

Clubhead going back while the lower body going forward is definitely seen in swings of many long hitters but that's not what is being debated here.We are talking about the shoulders,not the clubhead.

Throw a baseball, throw a football, separation happens. The lower body initiates the action while the upper body is still coiling. Why shouldn’t a golf club be operated in the same natural manner?

Status
Not open for further replies.