Trouble hitting irons off of a tee

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Brian,

I have a question I've been meaning to ask you for a long time, I figured if anyone could explain it you could.

When I am on a par 3 and tee the ball up when hitting an iron, it leads to disaster. It unleashes a giant pull hook that starts left of Hillary and ends up somewhere near Karl Marx....or if I happen to keep the face open, I get a weak, ugly little push. Clearly my path is too inside-out, and the tendency is to couple that with a closed face. Doesn't really matter if it's a 3 iron or a pitching wedge, and I have it teed pretty low, maybe quarter to a half inch off the ground for a long iron, down to barely above the turf for a wedge. Ball position is the same as if I was hitting off the ground.

Obviously, one solution to this is to not tee the ball up with irons (which I generally don't), but it's something I would like to figure out.

I know that Jack Nicklaus has said that if you have the option to tee up the ball, even with a wedge, ALWAYS do it, as air offers less resistance than dirt!

Now, I don't generally have this problem with the driver or fairway woods. I am a reformed (or reforming) too much to right field hooker, which I suspect has something to do with it.

Any thoughts?

Clay

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.