Trying To Go More Normal

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been hitting it pretty solid since visiting Bmanz in September but feel like I have a ways to go. Divots are thinner but still some dragging going on. My miss is the odd fat shot (really fat at times). When it's working the best I've been feeling like I'm starting my back extension "early". I hadn't seen my swing much in the last 4 months and these look like I still need working pulling the hoop out of the ground. Inputs are welcome.

011112DTL - YouTube

011112Caddy - YouTube

I've been hitting it pretty solid since visiting Bmanz in September but feel like I have a ways to go. Divots are thinner but still some dragging going on. My miss is the odd fat shot (really fat at times). When it's working the best I've been feeling like I'm starting my back extension "early". I hadn't seen my swing much in the last 4 months and these look like I still need working pulling the hoop out of the ground. Inputs are welcome.

011112DTL - YouTube

011112Caddy - YouTube
Robbo. From the DTL view, it looks like the shaft lays down too much approx. halfway into the downswing (almost as if the club "falls through" the area where it should be tumbling, or flipping about the coupling point) From there it seems as if the hands wipe hard left in an effort to reroute the club from too inside. I guess the earlier back extension that you mentioned will give you a bit more time to line up the club.
Just my two pence worth. I had a hard time pausing your swing where I wanted to and I'm sure people eminently more qualified than I will give you a more trenchant overview.
Great looking swing overall though.

lia41985

Some pictures

Would be interesting to see what your results would be if you stood at the setup with the hands a little higher and let the hands go a little less deep and a little more up in the backswing.

I like the looks of that move, the only thing I see is if you want to go normal you have to get some more squat first.

Oliver - thanks for the input. Very observent. I've always battled that over-shallowing move on the downswing and would guess it's part of the issue.

Lia - thanks for the pics, they do make it a bit easier to see what's happening. A little more "out and up" might help. I'll have to mess around with that.

Kevin - I don't remember the exact numbers but starting with the 7-iron my AOA was too high (in the 7+ degree range) and I was too inside out (no surprise I guess). After working hard with me on back extension and a straigher path thru impact Brian was able to get me in the 4 to 5degree range for AOA with the 7iron and a few zeroed out paths. My AOA's were basically too high thru the bag the same relative amount as the 7I was.

I like the looks of that move, the only thing I see is if you want to go normal you have to get some more squat first.

Thanks Matt - I was feeling exactly that a few days ago. I was having trouble feeling that normal "pull" if I wasn't "low enough" prior to the jump. I tried setting up with more knee flex and it felt like I was getting more normal as a result. I wasn't doing that in these and need to make a note. The back extension thing is certainly an area of the swing that I'm weak at and need to continue to work on. Brian was pretty clear about that in the lesson and it's something I need to keep after.

I agree, quite a good golf swing, therefore interesting to talk about. He's already pretty "squated" though, Matt. No?

ImageShack(TM) slideshow

I'd be interested to see his VSP number, and of course all the numbers.

Robbo: Why do you want to go more normal? Do you think it would go further if you did? Or is it more to avoid the fat shots?

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
He's more than likely unable to go normal because he's too high, squat or left shoulder, so his hand path keeps going down and he reverses his hips thru impact to keep it going down and low, hence the high AoA numbers.

How tall are you out of curiosity?

I also think his clubs don't fit him, if that's what you were getting at Kevin.

However:

I don't think he looks too high pre impact and he has, by the look of the pictures at least, had an upward hand path.

No?

Wulsy, look at the face on view of his swing in that swing he never gets down for a jump.

Robbo, I like your setup I don't know if I would add knee flex, I would like to see some squat in the transition move so you can go normal.

Matt, its difficult to see a squat from the face on view. But I agree he could squat more in order to jump more.

However there's definitely more to it in Robbo's case, because even without squatting more he COULD jump more than he does. The question is why doesn't he? Hence it would be really interesting to see his numbers.

He could be the poster boy for a TM lesson vs a "no numbers available" lesson. Brian! Where aaaarrrreeeee yuuuuu?;)

I'd be interested to see his VSP number, and of course all the numbers.

Robbo: Why do you want to go more normal? Do you think it would go further if you did? Or is it more to avoid the fat shots?

Wulsy,

I'll have to see if Brian keeps the numbers after a lesson or not. Essentially my AOA was much too high.

I've been losing some distance as I've gotten older and have started to really notice it. As you can see it's not the most powerful swing going so I'm hoping that by getting impact conditions to be more "efficient" I can get some of that back. It was obvious during the lesson that the closer I got my impact numbers in the tour average range (path and AOA), the better the impact and the ball-flight.

He's more than likely unable to go normal because he's too high, squat or left shoulder, so his hand path keeps going down and he reverses his hips thru impact to keep it going down and low, hence the high AoA numbers.

How tall are you out of curiosity?

Kevin,

I'm 6' 1".

Not sure I understand the reverse hips? In the past I had a tendence to dip down some thru the downswing. That seems to have gone away (at least it isn't near the magnitude). It just looks obvious that my jump up is weak or non-existant.

Wulsy - I don't think we ever got into that. We spent a lot of time trying to "not tug" and getting me into some back extension. I was definitely recruiting some weak muscles trying to achieve some extension based solely on how I felt the next day. The better I executed the extension the lower my AOA numbers were (the beauty of TM). Based purely on my divot pattern/depth it seems like my AOA is better now (but not optimum). Those times that I really hit a fat one are almost always when I'm trying to squeeze some extra yards out of an iron.

Would it also be fair to say that Robbo struggles to jump because feels his body has to, in effect, spin hard to counter the inside-out path? Not saying that this would be completely anathema to jumping, but wouldn't it make it more difficult?

Status
Not open for further replies.