Twistaway Troubleshooting

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been trying to master the twistaway with my driver and by utilizing the Manzella neutral grip (previously had a "strong grip") and the problem that I have been encountering is as my backswing nears it end (at the top), with the twistaway, I am feeling that my left thumb (I'm a righty) is not under the clubshaft. Should it be? I tend to sometimes have too flat of a swing, could this be contributing to the problem? Thanks.

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
I have been trying to master the twistaway with my driver and by utilizing the Manzella neutral grip (previously had a "strong grip") and the problem that I have been encountering is as my backswing nears it end (at the top), with the twistaway, I am feeling that my left thumb (I'm a righty) is not under the clubshaft. Should it be? I tend to sometimes have too flat of a swing, could this be contributing to the problem? Thanks.

Having the left thumb "more under" at the top is to help people get an OPEN clubface which is the OPPOSITE of what the Twistaway is trying to create (square to slightly closed).

Flat swings are a result of too much lead arm rotation (going palm down) and not enough right arm bend.

JeffM

Jim

I can understand too much left arm rotation causing a flat backswing. However, what do you mean by insufficient right arm bend and how does it cause a flat backswing?

Jeff.

Leek

New
Jim, as a follow on question to your answer, could a flat backswing be caused by too little or even no lifting action by the arms as well?

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
Jim

I can understand too much left arm rotation causing a flat backswing. However, what do you mean by insufficient right arm bend and how does it cause a flat backswing?

Jeff.

The way the club gets "raised" and "lowered" is by the bending of the right arm. Too many players nowadays are trying to make their swing flat when they have no idea why.

If you make a swing where the club goes very in and don't bend your right arm enough to raise the club UP you will be well below the turned shoulder plane and be flat/below plane.

Status
Not open for further replies.