Two Gloves

Status
Not open for further replies.
How about Tommy Gainey. He started off playing hooters tour then got on big break and made his way to the nationwide tour. After a few years there, I turn on the tv today to check in on the tournament and I see him at the top of the leaderboard. He has really worked his way from the bottom up to the top. Personally, I have always enjoyed watching him because of his unusual swing and calm demeanor. I know there is a lot of golf left to play this weekend, but I just enjoyed turning on the tv not knowing he had made the PGA tour and seeing him at the top.

jimmyt

New
How about Tommy Gainey. He started off playing hooters tour then got on big break and made his way to the nationwide tour. After a few years there, I turn on the tv today to check in on the tournament and I see him at the top of the leaderboard. He has really worked his way from the bottom up to the top. Personally, I have always enjoyed watching him because of his unusual swing and calm demeanor. I know there is a lot of golf left to play this weekend, but I just enjoyed turning on the tv not knowing he had made the PGA tour and seeing him at the top.

Ditto...........

Great Tommy Gainey story. I played with Tommy in his first ever professional golf tournament, a Teardrop Tour event in Columbia, SC. At that point in Tommy's life, he was working a rough, blue collar job that was extremely tough on his hands. His only golf experience was playing with his friends on the weekends, mostly in scrambles, and playing guys in small-time money games. A local friend convinced him to play against the Teardrop Tour guys to see how good he was and his friend put up the entry fee.

Tommy shoots 65 in the final round to win by a few against the likes of Tim Clark and other future tour stars. They handed him a check for $15,000, a huge amount in 1998 (or so) for a mini-tour event. He was shocked. Not because he had won, but that they were playing for so much money. He honestly had no idea.

Tommy hasn't changed a bit and he is still one of the most down-to-earth, geniune guys you will ever meet. Easy to root for. We talk a lot about great ball strikers on this forum, Tommy is a GREAT ball striker. I've probably played 25 tournament rounds with Tommy, including Q-School, and I've NEVER seen him miss-hit a single shot. He used to have problems controlling his distance (and probably still does), because he only has one gear. It's really fun to watch and impressive to witness.

Last edited:
It's great to hear you say good stuff about him. I have always liked watching him ever since he was on big break. Whenever I could catch him on the Nationwide tour I would watch and check in to see how he was doing. He seemed like a really down to earth person and I feel like that won't change no matter how much success he has on the PGA tour.

eoscar

This is Gainey's second stint on the PGA Tour he was also a member (via Q School) in 2008. I remember one of the Big Break guys he was on with talking about how Gainey was going to make somebody a lot of money one day.

dbl

New
I saw him on Big Break(s) and all that too. Likeable guy.

Last time he was on the big tour, he was playing great in the last tournament of the year, Disney, and needed essentially to win to keep his card, shot 64 Sunday and a 30 on the back nine, but was bested by DLIII by a shot.

There was a discussion during the coverage about the non-traditional placement of his left thumb. It appears to wrap around in baseball bat fashion but might hang free which would be like Sarazen.

btp

New
A little hook grip + some slice swing action and a lot of practice.

I'll be rooting for two gloves this afternoon.

Does he hit down on it too much, or what? Didn't pay real close attention, but wondered a few times, he has a strong grip, and he hits his short irons real far..

He play a draw?

dlam

New
It's refreshing to see someone use a baseball grip and baseball swing and hit the ball so well.
He does have a strong grip.
After watching him I tried that sarazen left grip and super strong right hand grip but it's not for me. My right hand wants to get weaker position.
But the strong left hand and left thumb wrapped around does feel comfortable for me.

It was kind of sad to see him go down the way he did on Monday though. That seventeenth hole really killed him. You could tell that he obviously lost all focus after he hit the first one in the water. Hopefully we will be seeing him on the leaderboard more. He hit a lot of great shots in that last round and his scrambling was really good.

Does he really use a baseball grip? I know he wraps the thumb around, but whenever I saw closeups of his grip it looked like it was overlapped.

I think he did say in a interview that his swing is based around a baseball type motion. Although I have no idea how it hits it straight with that fade follow through so pronounced.

Would 75 or 80 percent of all golfers be better off with baseball grip? Is the grip one of the main reasons golfers as a whole the last 25 years have not improved.

If the ten finger grip were superior, then it would be in wide use on the tour. There has to be a reason for the popularity of the Vardon grip.

The problem with the Vardon grip is that the average golfer just can't seem to figure out how do it. Amazing that with so much step by step instructional material available, they still can't follow the step by step instructions on how to take the grip correctly. I think it is simply that they forgot to get it right early on, and changing later is therefore uncomfortable.

Similarly, I really can't figure why anyone would find it difficult to at least learn what you are supposed to do to hit sand shots. The information is there for the taking. They bitch and moan about bad sand shots, but won't put forth effort to learn on of the easiest shots in the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.