Underplane, Uppercut, Backed Up Shaft Golf Swing Wins

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jared Willerson

Super Moderator
Ted Potter with a golf swing only a mother could love wins yesterday.

I know every golf swing can get hot and produce results. I am just wondering if this guy fights two way misses the way most people with a move like this probably would.

lia41985

Doesn't get the club too far in on this swing. From that top position, he might fool some eyes into looking like he has an overly outward hand path (which tends toward causing under plane/backed up shaft issues) but it's vertical enough for where he needs to go from where he put himself in the backswing. Oh and it works :)
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/G4HHu8xqW6s" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
I actually think this is kind of anti-underplane, backed up swing. This last parallel position:
2n6uptw.jpg

is one, I think, under planers would do well to learn from. Pretty vertical lead arm, face tipping towards the ball, bumpy back with the trail heel down.

Last edited:
Doesn't get the club too far in on this swing. From that top position, he might fool some eyes into looking like he has an overly outward hand path (which tends toward causing under plane/backed up shaft issues) but it's vertical enough for where he needs to go from where he put himself in the backswing. Oh and it works :)
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/G4HHu8xqW6s" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>
I actually think this is kind of anti-underplane, backed up swing. This last parallel position:
2n6uptw.jpg

is one, I think, under planers would do well to learn from. Pretty vertical lead arm, face tipping towards the ball, bumpy back with the trail heel down.

A good example Lia of how bumpy back helps/allows/promotes (you choose) the arms and hands to move down on the best path from his transition position. Thanks.

Drew

I don't know about the swing, but this cat missed 24 out of 24 cuts on the Web.com deal last year. You can't tell me he didn't have a lot of voices in his ear telling him it was time to go sell insurance. Self belief can be a powerful thing.

I don't know about the swing, but this cat missed 24 out of 24 cuts on the Web.com deal last year. You can't tell me he didn't have a lot of voices in his ear telling him it was time to go sell insurance. Self belief can be a powerful thing.

Wow...I did not know that. This is why I love this game. Stories. Plain and simple. They are a dime a dozen and interesting as hell!

I don't know about the swing, but this cat missed 24 out of 24 cuts on the Web.com deal last year.
Not sure about that...last year, he played in 18 web.com events, made 12 cuts, won two of the 12, was 2nd in earnings with $402,470 and earned a spot on the PGA tour. Maybe you're referring to another year/years? His overall web.com record: 74 events, 19 cuts made, $439,236 - that includes one 2012 event. Anyway, good story and great win for him.

Not sure about that...last year, he played in 18 web.com events, made 12 cuts, won two of the 12, was 2nd in earnings with $402,470 and earned a spot on the PGA tour. Maybe you're referring to another year/years? His overall web.com record: 74 events, 19 cuts made, $439,236 - that includes one 2012 event. Anyway, good story and great win for him.

That makes a lot more sense, thanks for the correction. In 2003 he finished 74th a Q school giving him a spot on the nationwide tour for '04. That was the year he didn't make a cut. I took what the radio said as gospel without doing my own homework... rookie play. :rolleyes:

I thought this site was all about function over form so I was somewhat surprised to see this thread.

If anyone reading this were his instructor/swing coach is this something you would tinker with (now that he has tour status for a couple years)?

Or is this a case of "if it isn't broke, don't fix it, if it wins on tour, don't change it"

does it depend on the consistency/inconsistency in the trackman numbers?

Last edited:

Jared Willerson

Super Moderator
Function is what this site is about. I wasn't trashing his swing, just pointing out that any swing can work at times but I am curious if his ball striking suffers from a two way miss.

His golf swing won on tour, so I'm sure he is a good ball striker, I am just wondering if anyone has any inside info on this guy and how good is he relative to his peers. That is all. He hit some clutch shots down the stretch.

Function is what this site is about. I wasn't trashing his swing, just pointing out that any swing can work at times but I am curious if his ball striking suffers from a two way miss.

He hit some clutch shots down the stretch.

Did not mean to imply you were trashing his move, I didn't think you were and I apologize if it came out that way.

I just found what you saw in his swing interesting and wondered if it was something you would try to change, or would altering a swing that just won be too big of a risk to take. Would the Trackman numbers provide the primary insight into which route you would take or would it come down to something else.

Interested to hear your thoughts/opinions about it. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.