Underrated: Straightening of the Right Leg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryan Smither

Super Moderator
1. more effective, consistent control of low point ... we take 136 million paces/steps in our lifetime, give or take a few, so we have a pretty good feel for how long our leg is and where the ground sits in relation ...

2. prevents the backswing pivot from creeping too far off the ball ...

3. hands less likely to "pop-out" ... less likely to lay it off as hands can get deeper ...

thoughts? ...

feel free to call me crazy, or to add other benefits.

I'm adding it to my swing to fix my backswing. I used to be so worried about keeping it in the same exact spot. Now I say the hell with it.

Snead, Hogan, Palmer, Player, Nelson, early Nicklaus, and vjsinger..must be good:) It has fixed my path and helped me tremendously, since I'm built like a Defensive Tackle. IMO..the best thing to do for big guys with their pivot.

Geez, you were considered blasphemous if you straightened your right leg in the 90's. That was my natural move and I spent a ton of time trying to maintain a bent right knee and why...

IMO...Straightening is fine - "locking" not good.

Geez, you were considered blasphemous if you straightened your right leg in the 90's. That was my natural move and I spent a ton of time trying to maintain a bent right knee and why...

IMO...Straightening is fine - "locking" not good.

somebody also tried to make my "squad" on the downswing go away. I'm disappoint.

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
Keeping the right leg flexed is honestly one of the main reasons I couldnt reach my potential as a player. Just couldnt turn and made my transition too fast. Thanks for reminding me:(

Once I stopped locking the right knee my game improved immensely. Not sure why. I still try and maintain some flex but I wouldn't call it straight.

The issue I have is that when I try to actively straighten the right leg, I wind up locking it. So my swing thought is keep the flex in the right knee, but that's a 'feel isn't real' case as the right leg straightens but doesn't lock when I do that.

3JACK

The issue I have is that when I try to actively straighten the right leg, I wind up locking it. So my swing thought is keep the flex in the right knee, but that's a 'feel isn't real' case as the right leg straightens but doesn't lock when I do that.

3JACK

I play with two thoughts on the Backswing right side action: 1)I think of straightening the right leg and 2) getting my right hip pocket really deep behind me. For me the thought of getting the right hip pocket deep has been a key swing thought, which in effect straightens the right leg. The downswing thought is to sit on and bend the right knee.

Dariusz J.

3JACK

Rich, the last thing you should like to do is to think about the rate of straightening of your rear leg, IMO. Presetting the knee joint at address will do the job automatically provided your backswing is correctly being lead by the rear side up and back. The rear leg won't straighten fully, however, it will let the rear hip turn as much as possible creating necessary torques. Why to complicate simple issues ? :)

Cheers

I think it's even a good idea to start with the right leg in a pre-set straightened position (not locked). This cuts out one moving part for the backswing and encourages a good shoulder/hip turn.

I think it's even a good idea to start with the right leg in a pre-set straightened position (not locked). This cuts out one moving part for the backswing and encourages a good shoulder/hip turn.

I'm not crazy about that idea. It is up there with that idea Leadbetter had about starting the swing halfway into the backswing. IMO it's unathletic and a little unnatural. If someone would want to give their shoulders and hips encouragement to turn, I'd just suggest they flair a foot out, or pull the back foot away from the target line... Just my preference.

Nick e

New
too much?

golf3-1.jpg
[/IMG]

is this too much?

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
Nick, it may be a touch too early. That is a good top of the backswing position....if thats what you're working on. When people say they "lock" the right knee, it usually shoots back immediately too early and locks. Great pic though.

Nick e

New
Thanks

Thanks Kevin

My Boss Wants me to keep that right knee flexed more but it does not feel right to me.

[media]http://www.theorthopediccenter.net/images/Hipokpr.jpg[/media]

If I turn my hips in the backswing, my femur goes with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.