Uneven Lie helps underplane?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey folks I found something interesting during my last round on Sunday. The two most solid, best trajectory shots I hit on the day were from uneven lies. The first was uphill and the second slightly down/sidehill. What I noticed is that in both cases I was unable to ‘engage’ my body in the takeaway and transition (especially the uphiller). I basically felt like I had to pick the arms up and drop them down, and thre was definitely a feeling of arm separation from the torso. There wasn’t a whole lot of turning going on (great for me BTW).
Given what we have learned about the body supporting the arms, this makes total sense. My question is, why can’t we do this from a flat perfect lie? Is it just the urge to hit? I guess I should go find an incline and hit balls off of it, but that might be difficult.

Any thoughts?

lia41985

Golf is a game of angles played on an angle. Your senses may be more acute when you're forced to play from more of an angle.

art

New
Golf is a game of angles played on an angle. Your senses may be more acute when you're forced to play from more of an angle.

Dear Lia and jbrunk,

The Happiest of Thanksgivings to you and ALL who access this site, a place for us to share our golf thoughts and findings.

I apologize for my silence for the better part of this year, but promise to get back on board when I believe I can ADD VALUE, for sure the upper most criterion in my motive seeking golf truth.

While 'Bumpy Back, Keep it Back', aka BBKIB, sounded and seemed like a gimmick that worked for a while, then disappeared as it seems to have on recent blog postings, I can assure you both experimentally, and scientifically now that this apparent 'golf tip' contains the dominant and crucial ingredients of establishing and retaining the dynamic balance and stability margins crucial to ALL golf swings.

Simply, in your recent experience jbrunk, your attention to the challenging angular lies, placed your body in 'stable' dynamic positions during the downswing of both the shots you described.

Unfortunately, much of the use of scientific principles and test equipment (force plates etc.) to better understand the golf swing regarding this area of dynamic balance and stability is light-years behind subjects like the release, rate of closure, impact conditions etc. IMO, as I have written in earlier posts, having reviewed and studied hundreds of research papers by scientists in the fields of anthropology, robotic stability, and the effects on human balance of diseases such as Parkinson's and Muscular Sclerosis, I conclude that consistent TEMPO and DYNAMIC STABILITY MARGINS are possible to develop and necessary for any/all golfers who want to improve.

Sincerely,
Art

Hey folks I found something interesting during my last round on Sunday. The two most solid, best trajectory shots I hit on the day were from uneven lies. The first was uphill and the second slightly down/sidehill. What I noticed is that in both cases I was unable to ‘engage’ my body in the takeaway and transition (especially the uphiller). I basically felt like I had to pick the arms up and drop them down, and thre was definitely a feeling of arm separation from the torso. There wasn’t a whole lot of turning going on (great for me BTW).
Given what we have learned about the body supporting the arms, this makes total sense. My question is, why can’t we do this from a flat perfect lie? Is it just the urge to hit? I guess I should go find an incline and hit balls off of it, but that might be difficult.

Any thoughts?

It has been my experience that a simple mogul, with all four of the uneven lies, is one of the best teaching aids. Period.

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator

Any thoughts?

IMO it won't help you on a flat lie. It can give you a feel but there's a reason why you struggle to re create it on a standard lie. Like mos training aids, it's tough to translate. Just an opinion.

I like them because they are free, readily available and as good as or better than the toys people pay big bucks for. And a bucket won't cut it. A month might.

Status
Not open for further replies.