Unplayable Lie Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Facts:
(1) Ball is lying in heavy fescue on left-hand side of fairway ~less than 2' from rough. [Actually, *buried* beneath matted-down fescue.]
(2) Right-handed golfer. [That would be me. :cool:]
(3) Player knows he can declare unplayable lie any where, any time. 1 of the 3 relief options (line to pin) not feasible; 1 other, replay from tee not considered (although, in hindsight, probably should have been. LOL? or is that COL? [crying]).

Questions:
(1) Can player's nearest point of relief be to the *right*? Thereby allowing player to drop within 2 club lengths of that point (essentially in the rough)?

BTW. Here's what happened - I didn't take relief, and elected to play the ball, because I was unsure and did not ask my fellow competitors for a ruling. I hacked the ball out to ~6" from the fescue into the rough.. I then proceeded to *whiff* 2 shots because the high fescue caught my club.. finally, on 3rd try, I was able to advance the ball.. took an 8 on the short par 4. Ouch. :mad:

Oh, I don't think, even now, that I would have been entitled to relief to the *right*. Am I right or wrong?

Lesson learned? Next time. Hit the fairway.. or at least the rough. :)

Yes he can take a drop ANYWHERE (that is no closer to the hole) with two club lengths.

Even if the relief point is out of the fescue to *right*? A clear advantage? 2 club lengths would have put me well outside the fescue 'cuz I was barely in it.

I guess I thought of the carpath-type issue vis-a-vis RH vs LH golfer. [Geez. Why weren't you in my group? ;) Oh, I know you can't advise me as to the rules *except* if I'm about to break one.]

Last edited:
Your nearest point of relief only applies when it is a free drop. When it is a penalty drop you can take your drop on either side as long as it is no closer to the hole.

SJO

New
Goley is right, you weren't taking relief, you were taking a penalty drop. Two club lengths from where your ball was lying no nearer the hole.

jab

New
Regarding advice about Rules of Golf - you are precluded from giving or taking advice regarding how to play but it is ok to say what a Rule is. E.g. you can not say "why don't you declare unplayable and play within 2 club lengths?" but if asked what the unplayable options are you could respond with the 3 options.

Status
Not open for further replies.