"Upright" Arms Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

natep

New
Do any of you guys have ideas about what an optimum upright arm swing would be?

Would there be an optimal angle of the left arm relative to the ground at the top, regardless of the golfers inclination to the ball?

Or would there be an optimal angle of the left arm relative to the thoracic spine at the top, regardless of inclination?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Natep,

I would love to hear someone smarter than me answer the question, but it did remind me of one of the tests that TPI runs that measures your shoulder flexibility when both arms are elevated at your sides and facing upward. They wanted to see how far back you can rotate your shoulders.

I would guess that like most things, there is probably no optimum but each person has a maximum amount of flexibility. Brian talks about junk science and I think matching up your arm swing with your shoulder turn so that it looks good on a line-drawing program would probably fall into that category.

Didn't Hogan have an opinion

Do any of you guys have ideas about what an optimum upright arm swing would be?

Would there be an optimal angle of the left arm relative to the ground at the top, regardless of the golfers inclination to the ball?

Or would there be an optimal angle of the left arm relative to the thoracic spine at the top, regardless of inclination?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks.

"at the top of his backswing, his left arm should be extended at the exact same angle (to the ball) as the glass."

Dariusz J.

The optimal angle distal parts are moving in relation to the core axis with in every rotary motion is 90 degrees. The way humans are built (joints RoM is limited) may change this perspective though depending on a goal.

Cheers

The optimal angle distal parts are moving in relation to the core axis with in every rotary motion is 90 degrees. The way humans are built (joints RoM is limited) may change this perspective though depending on a goal.

Cheers

Do you have any illustrations to explain this?

Dariusz J.

Well, I don't know what illustration would be the best, perhaps a man turning around an axis letting centrifugal force act on his arms. In such a case, arms always will tend to establish a perpendicular relationship between them and the axis - the faster is the angular velocity the sooner it happens.

Cheers

Well, I don't know what illustration would be the best, perhaps a man turning around an axis letting centrifugal force act on his arms. In such a case, arms always will tend to establish a perpendicular relationship between them and the axis - the faster is the angular velocity the sooner it happens.

Cheers

At 90* to the "spine angle" then? Would this also be optimal at impact in your opinion?

Dariusz J.

At 90* to the "spine angle" then? Would this also be optimal at impact in your opinion?

Yes and no. If arms are without elbow joints - there is no choice and everyone would look like Moe at impact unless one performs some conscious actions aimed at disturbing the system motion. However, the shoulder joints are too weak a connection between distal part mass and the main body in both the sense of controlling the movement (which is my first goal) as well as powering the motion (which is a complimentary goal for me). Therefore, the upper part of the arms usually works closely in accordance with main body while rear forearm supports the shaft. In this scenario there is no possibility of having more than one part perpendicular to the axis of rotation - in case of best ballstrikers it is the rear forearm - hence, 95% of the players regarded as best ballstrikers achieve elbow plane early and do not swing on higher planes (there are maybe some rare exceptions).

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.