Upward AOA with long irons?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dlam

New
Is there any data to support a positive angle of attack with a long iron of the tee?
The reason I ask is that I seen ready nice high fade shot when the ball is teed up only slightly maybe 1/8 inch and no divot
I not saying anything crazy like 4-5 degree of upward hit like a driver
But any trackman data supporting a 1-2 degree upward AOA with say a 2 or 3 iron?

I'm no trackman expert, so I'm probably wrong here...but for me the math doesn't work for upward AOA with a ball on the ground. How do you get the sweetspot of the club on the ball without at least a small amount of downward AOA? Wouldn't the club hit the ground first?

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
I'm no trackman expert, so I'm probably wrong here...but for me the math doesn't work for upward AOA with a ball on the ground. How do you get the sweetspot of the club on the ball without at least a small amount of downward AOA? Wouldn't the club hit the ground first?

he said it's on a tee. to the original op, i don't know.

I believe irons are usually hit a little below the "sweetspot".

If it's off the ground, why couldn't there be a little positive in there?

dlam

New
Just wondering
If someone hit their 1iron like Jack N of the tee and measure with track man

Jack did not take much divots if any at all
Wouldnt be slightly positive AoA?

Karsten Solheim thought that optimal impact was a little below the sweetspot for lower launch and higher spin - due to vertical gear effect.

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
I threw this idea to Tuxen and he appeared interested. I told him that if I needed to squeeze out a few more yards on a par three with a long iron I tee it a bit higher, try to hit up with less spin loft.

depending on the height of the tee. if you're talking just barely, like a good lie, i think I'd want zero HSP to expose the SS.

This is exactly what I have been doing since late last year after I switched to lefty. Lately I have been using my 4iron. I tee it with about 1/2 inch of short tee showing and play it just inside my right heel. I usually pop the tee out of the ground. Goes 220 in the air if I do it well but it lands soft.

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
I think that's one aspect of a super game improvement irons, lower CoG.

It's also the reason why lofts have decreased as well; as you put the COG further back and low it increases launch angle. Have an iron with too much loft and a really low COG you'll hit moon iron shots that don't go anywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.