Vertical hand path vs. At the ball/axis tilt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys

Turns out I've developed a bit of a flip/stand up at impact move (or combination of both)..it sure doesn't feel like I flip at it but video says otherwise!

Anyway, I think the reason for it is I set-up with my arms hanging down (fairly vertical, maybe just off, but relaxed might be the best way of putting it) then on the downswing they are more horizontal - the hand path is more "at the ball"

The downside of all this is I have no room at impact, unless I stand up or chicken-wing it a bit (or both). This is much worse with a longer club, presumably because I'm standing closer with a 9-iron (so the "at the ball" hand path is nearer to the more vertical address position). My driver, needless to say, is not great :(

So, the question is..

Do I try and work towards a more vertical hand path on the downswing (ie. left arm vertical at last parallel) or is "at the ball" valid with more axis tilt, to create the space at impact?

When I look at some tour players I see some guys have a more vertical left arm (with less axis tilt) and others with a more diagonal left arm (and more axis tilt). Both would seem to work..wondering if someone more knowledgeable can help me out understanding the differences

IMO, you need to fix the flip first. It's more than likely the reason you stand up at impact. Otherwise, you'd stick the club in the ground before you got to the ball and you'll have to, regardless of the hand path you choose, until you fix the flip.

Well, maybe I am backwards on this..but the way I'm looking at it, theres simply no room to hit the ball without standing up/chicken winging at it. The (slight) flip seems like a result of these things causing a bit of a stall just before impact. With a wedge or short iron theres no flip, nor on a pitch or chip.

It feels more like my body suddenly freaks out at the prospect of sticking it in the ground 5 inches behind the ball (with a driver) and stalls so I can make some room quick (via some funky move). Just thinking about the driver swing...seems to me if I maintained my posture, hand path at the ball, and didn't flip, my hands would have to be so far forward I'd have about 1* of loft!!

If I really try to swing on a vertical hand path, and maintain my posture through impact ('cause, by now, standing up feels like the right thing to do, so that actually feels odd) contact is great. Or, more axis tilt with maintained posture works similar (with the old hand path).

I dunno, could be very wrong. Haven't had chance to video some swings of the above. Was curious of the differences in the two methods.

In my years of teaching, I have seen very, very few students that stand "too close" to the ball. With a proper downswing, there is plenty of room to release the club.

No matter how close you are, you are inches away from Jim Furyk or Jeff Sluman...and I haven't even seen your swing.

Well, if your pivot is stalling and you're needing to fit the swing in at the bottom, you can rest assured that you are out and horizontal in the transition.

Hmm..thanks guys, I'll try and get some video up on the weekend

I may have been a complete tool and missed the fact that the two different hand paths change the face angle. Think I'm all set up for a super vertical hand path which I'm then not actually making! Probably stalling to actually hit it somewhat straight. Oh well, I'll experiment and post some video..

Status
Not open for further replies.