Vertical launch angle and distance

Status
Not open for further replies.
I experienced an interesting phenomenon this afternoon: the lower I tired to hit the ball the further it went.

My 7-iron VLA would normally average 18-19*. Distance would be 165yds on the best ones. I worked on lowering VLA and my VLA average got down to 17.5*. I found an extra couple of yards. Averaging 170 on the best hits (with a few at 172yrds). For my 7 iron, a 1.5* decrease in VLA found me an extra 5 yds.

I don't think it is physically possible for me to get down the PGA Tour average of 16.5* with my current clubs (and whatever bend profile they have at impact). NO matter what extreme angles I tried I could not get there, even once. I think my clubs (Callaway X16) might be 1* weaker than most contemporary clubs, so that might account for me not making the benchmark. I am not too fussed about falling short of the target, because it is afterall only the average.

I was also pleased to be able reduce VLA/Dynamic Loft without increasing the my AoA.

The feeling of compression was also evident.

The penny also dropped as to why the pros hit it so far...their VLA is so low, perhaps as much as 3-4* compared to my swings...and that is the loft difference difference between two clubs...which is about 11yds in distance...I figure I can create near-identical ball flight to a PGA players 6 iron...as long as I get to hit a 5 iron. Put alternatively, the PGA 6 iron has a dynamic loft that equals my 5 iron.

Take home message: try and hit the ball into ground to make it go further.

take home message II: You do need Tour swing speed to keep continue with those low Dyn. loft swings with the long clubs otherwise there is not enough VLA left (and spin and landing angle) in relation to the ball speed and you will start to lose distance.

Don't ignore the decent angles. If you are lowering the LA and swallowing the decent angle... that's not a good combination. As Frans said, you need Tour speed to make many of those tour averages work to your benefit.

Tiger Woods has said in the past that when he was younger he could hit it a long way with his "ol'e" swing. That was what he called his flip at it swing.

You can hit it a long way with different techniques. Personally I can hit my wedges higher and longer with a counter rotated club head / no divot / pick it clean strike. Not my usual technique, but if I want to get more distance out of the shot, that's what works for me.

Last edited:
I just don't get the fixation on distance with irons. I would rather focus on proper gapping. My 7 iron is about 160 on a pure shot, but my 7 iron is also 1/2 long over Ping Standard and it is 1 degree strong to bring my high ball flight down a touch. I frankly would rather be like a couple of my friends who are 2-3 handicap, older guys who are two clubs shorter than me and out score me nearly every round.

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
It's not a fixation, only concern is whether you have enough speed to get spin and height optimal for the course you play and to find certain pins

What's the ball speed on that 7 iron?

Here are the other averages:

Distance 167yds
Ballspeed 121mph
Smash 1.37
Spin 6344
Descent 48*

Thanks for all the comments. i do understand the point that i would require additional ballspeed if was to get value from an even lower VLA,

Last edited:
Nothing wrong with those, Geoff. What kind of conditions do you normally play in down there, fairly windy? Cape Kidnappers is definitely on my bucket list.

cape_kidnappers_0909__large_gary_lisbon_large.jpg

New Zealand is a pretty windy place through the winter months of May-September. My home course is a flat track, unlike every other bit of land in NZ. The weather is pretty unstable through this period - intermittent showers, strong westerly winds is the norm. The saying is that if you don't like the weather, just wait an hour.

The course gets heavy through winter, as that is definitely the wet season. For many weeks your drives rarely leave their pitch marks. The course might only play 6000 yards, but when you have to all of that in the air, it is a reasonable test of golf.

Ironically, Auckland and most of NZ is in a drought at the moment, so even a Muppet like me can 'bomb' the ball 300 yrds (230 of carry and 70 of roll). Last year our golf course had 190mm of rain throughout Jan-Feb. This year we have had 18mm. Cracks in the ground are swallowing sand in the bunkers. Some drainage work has been postponed for the same reason.

I have not yet played Kidnappers...but if you make it to NZ, we'll just have to play it together (on a day without too much wind)...and don't forget Kauri Cliffs: 5 Star Luxury Lodges New Zealand | Golf Spa Resorts | Luxury Boutique Accommodation | Northland Bay of Islands | 5 Star Luxury Boutique Accommodation | Luxury Lodging

Here are the other averages:

Distance 167yds
Ballspeed 121mph
Smash 1.37
Spin 6344
Descent 48*

Thanks for all the comments. i do understand the point that i would require additional ballspeed if was to get value from an even lower VLA,

What are the tour averages of the above and clubhead speed? 165 7-iron is very respectable.

The PGA Tour 7-iron benchmarks I am 'chasing' are as follows:

Clubspeed 90mph
Ballspeed 120mph
Distance 172yds

Google - trackman PGA averages - and you will find some tables from about 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.