Video Camera Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Canon ZR950 MiniDV Camcorder. I *think* it records at 30 fps and can record onto miniDV Cassette or SDHC memory card. I can adjust the shutter speed from 1/60 (the base; most ordinary conditions) to 1/100 (indoor sports scenes), 1/250, 1/500, or 1/1000.

Do I need to worry about shutter speeds for outdoor recording? Is 1/60 OK for normal sunny days? I would think I would have to adjust higher for a cloudy day.

Does shutter speed affect the quality of the video? For example, increase to, say, 1/250 or 1/500 for a normal sunny day rather than 1/60? Or from 1/100 for indoor to 1/250?

Is there a big/huge/noticeable difference between 30 fps and the 40 fps of the Casios? Does/can the EX-ZR100 operate like a camcorder (e.g., tripod, continous filming for the 2-3 minutes needed to record at least 3 swings)?

Assuming there is a noticeable difference, which Casio would you buy? And why?

natep

New
I think you need 240fps with 1/2000 shutter speed for quality slow motion.
Here's a review of the Casio ex-fh100 from TPI's youtube channel from about a year ago. If you go to that channel they review a lot of different cameras.

Last edited:
Thanks! After viewing this video and following a few links from the myTPI YouTube channel, I found that video can be up to 1,000 fps.

Now, my decision is EX-ZR10, EX-ZR100 or the EX-FH100. Looks like the EX-FH100.. if I can find one.. Amazon has a used one for $394. Yikes! There are some new ones on eBay for $300ish, but they're in Taiwan or Japan.. no thanks... too risky.

Oh, I can sell my Canon ZR950 camcorder and my Canon A570.. appears as though the Casio will do both (still and video).

Last edited:
Thanks, Tim. Kevin has the FH-20.. I'm leaning towards the used EX-FH100.. much smaller and lighter.. not to mention MUCH less expensive.. may purchase tomorrow depending on feedback from another party that I asked privately.

Oh, and let's get together next year.. Boulder Creek? Or, any other course near Cleveland? I'll PM my contact info.

ZAP

New
Boulder Creek sounds like a plan. I have not played there in a year or two but it was really nice when I played it.
Good call on the smaller camera. That is my only gripe about my camera is finding a place to put it in my golf bag or on my push cart.

Status
Not open for further replies.