warm up routine?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want to preface this thread by saying I haven't ever been big on warming up. I rarely stretch, I my hit a few chips and roll a couple putts at most before I go out to play. I don't do this because I think I play better this way, I'm just not crazy about waking up any earlier. Unfortunately, it hasn't translated to lower scores, so I'm ready to change. Round after tracked round I am seeing that the first four holes I basically throw up all over myself and spend the rest of the day cleaning up the messy start. I haven't been lucky enough to attend a tour event and watch how the best get their motors running. Basically I am just wondering what sort of routines that the better players use to get warmed up. Age, stamina, flexibility are a non-issue for me, any ideas will be welcomed...Thanks.

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
I loosen up with a roller and 10-15 swings with the Orange Whip. Really gets the juices going.....no static stretching. Then I'll hit 100 yd 6irons feeling whatever it is I'm working on until satisfied. I'm only 10 minutes in at this point. Then work through some short, med and long clubs to get some feel. I always end with the shot I'm going to hit off the first tee. In the course of all this, I'll hit at least 5 balls going through an entire "on course" routine.

Then I'll hit putts for 10 minutes. 30-40 footers, then 2-4 footers and mid range putts with a lot of break.

Kevin,

A foam roller? How long have you had the 100 yard 6 irons as a part of your routine? A great idea that I don't do often enough.

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
It's actually a runners hand held roller I keep in my bag. I've injured myself stretching before rounds one too many times so I like warm up and full range of motion swings with the whip.

The 6 iron thing is great and I've been doing it for a couple years. Helps pitching and part shot feel as well as tempo. Mainly, though, it helps isolate the feels of whatever I'm working on.

ZAP

New
I usually get to the course early and hit 5 or 6 balls with like a 6 or 7 iron. Then I lightly jog out and hit them back with a wedge of some sort. A few pitches and a few chips later I am usually mentally bored and want to play. I then spend a few minutes working my way around the putting green making sure I can sort of feel the speed. Finally I hit a couple of balls away with my driver before we head to the first tee.

I think if I played at a course with a range and short game area I would have a better routine but the city muni is not exactly tournament ready. lol

I loosen up with a roller and 10-15 swings with the Orange Whip. Really gets the juices going.....no static stretching. Then I'll hit 100 yd 6irons feeling whatever it is I'm working on until satisfied. I'm only 10 minutes in at this point. Then work through some short, med and long clubs to get some feel. I always end with the shot I'm going to hit off the first tee. In the course of all this, I'll hit at least 5 balls going through an entire "on course" routine.

Then I'll hit putts for 10 minutes. 30-40 footers, then 2-4 footers and mid range putts with a lot of break.

I do something similar, only I hit PWs with a half/three quarter swing till I'm happy with what moves/directions/speeds/AoA etc I'm looking for and I might even grip it weaker or stronger depending on what kind of face alignment I'm getting on that day.

Is the Orange Whip worth it, or could you do without it? (I don't have one).

Kevin, how long would you estimate it takes from the first roller to the last putt?

I appreciate the replies, it's been very insightful for me.

I want to preface this thread by saying I haven't ever been big on warming up. I rarely stretch, I my hit a few chips and roll a couple putts at most before I go out to play. I don't do this because I think I play better this way, I'm just not crazy about waking up any earlier. Unfortunately, it hasn't translated to lower scores, so I'm ready to change. Round after tracked round I am seeing that the first four holes I basically throw up all over myself and spend the rest of the day cleaning up the messy start. I haven't been lucky enough to attend a tour event and watch how the best get their motors running. Basically I am just wondering what sort of routines that the better players use to get warmed up. Age, stamina, flexibility are a non-issue for me, any ideas will be welcomed...Thanks.

This is my routine as well--same result also--but I do it because it is the only way I can justify that first-tee mulligan!

Great routine Kevin. I do stretch before, but it is AIS type stretching, which warms up the nervous system, not shuts it down like static stretching. Lately I have been having very tight hammies, and I foam roll at home, maybe time to find a place to do it at the course. I have some rubber tubing I keep in the bag, and sometimes I'll use that to warm up the golf muscles. I have a club with no head, and I try to use that for speed after the stretching, but I don't always get around to it. Slacker! I usually only hit 20-25 balls before the round, just to get a feel for what I am working with that day - which usually isn't much.

What's this kind of stretching called?

118zhpe.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.