Was it a good Year?

Status
Not open for further replies.
ok, each year, I look back and review my season to determine if i had a good year. Key stats I look at are index, average score, etc.

For me, this was a very solid year, Index got to a low of 2.8, for the first time in my life my average score was in the 70's(78.9), i had my lowest score at my course this year (70), and I also shot a 72 with 7 birdies(most I've ever had in a round).

on the bad side, now I'm having to give up way to many strokes to other members, but i guess that's how it goes.

For me to get better next year, I need to drive the ball a bit more consistently to avoid impeded shots, still have an issue with losing it left periodically, putting, and chipping. Iron play and sand game are strengths for me right now.

Anyway, thanks to all the great teachers out there who have helped us hacks keep going in the right direction.

ZAP

New
Full swing was the best it has ever been.
Short game was sporadic as I am still making the transition away from handle dragging yippiness.(is that a word?)
Putting was miserable for the first half of the summer and then pretty decent for the rest.
I am spending the winter on my indoor putting green and hopefully this will pay off.
The better part of my spring is going to be spent shoring up the short game.

My hope is to spend a couple of hours with Brian and Kevin or both in the spring.

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
Made big strides in both teaching and playing. Very big goals for 2013 based on continually improving on what I learned this year.

Yes, good year on the individual side. T13th State mid-am. Won district mid-am, picked up the toughest club championship in the area and point leader for my districts intrastate team. Need to become competitive in more of the USGA stuff here on out. Gotta get some local medals and get in the USGA am and mid-am.

Best year ever, professionally and personally...go figure.

Top 3 in the two biggest tournaments in our Section, won three events, qualified for my first PNC in Oregon next summer, had our first child (Emmy) and hosted BManz. Oh, and the O's made the playoffs. That's a pretty good year where I come from...

My most interesting "golf" observation of the year?

That no matter how far your game and confidence may fall, you are only a good instructor or some good information away from a major breakthrough. The downside? The demons never really go away.

Last edited:
Some impressive accomplishments out there... be interesting to know how many club, regional, sectional championships, etc. are out there in bmanz's forum.

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
I agree, Tball88. Just to get away from the other threads I, too would love to hear some success stories from people who actually improved their golf. And it doesn't include how big Lia's brain got.

I'll start. I got a teacher of the year and player of the year section award. Made the US Open sectional (73-74 missed by 5 I think), kinda gagged a chance to get into the PGA but still finished top 20 in the national PGA PNC. 5th in Pa Open. 4th in West Penn Open. Qualified for next years PGA Tour Greenbrier Classic. Had a few students sign to play college golf. Coached kid pitch little league!! (Highlight of the year)

All things considered, a good year. Had a sporadic, broken playing schedule without a lot of practice/casual rounds, but managed to final group our national championship as the end of my playing season.

Had a solid year teaching as well, but am looking forward to potential new career opportunities in 2013. I still feel like I am improving every year, both as a teacher and player, and that's first on the goals list each January.

Screw all you guys rubbin' played-good lotion on each other's backs. If 2012 was an elephant and I was a frittata hippie...

82580020.gif

But in 2013, I'm gonna clear the hips like "2012". :)

hp12c

New
Screw all you guys rubbin' played-good lotion on each other's backs. If 2012 was an elephant and I was a frittata hippie...

82580020.gif

But in 2013, I'm gonna clear the hips like "2012". :)

the elephants hips stalled and look at all that lag in the trunk all the way to a full finish!

that is hilarious, definitely coupling, no trying to hold the lag there...Kevin, Lindsay, and others, great accomplishments this year, very impressive. while my stats were all better, I folded up in my club championship. I've got to learn the transition from match play to medal play. Almost all of our events are match play except for the club championship, and I seem to have a mental block there. Not sure why, but it messes with me. Also, I've got to get over the fact I'm the only guy who hasn't either played college golf or mini-tours.

Had a good golf year, yes. Handicap dropped into single digits (currently 6.6), I got faster, I got stronger, I lost the sympathy baby weight, and I did it only playing/practicing once a week, on average. I know people think having a kid will screw up your golf game, but for me, the only things I've struggled with are partial wedge shots (ex. 25-75 yards). I can live with that, considering even pros hate those shots. I knew my short game/putting was going to take a hit, but the swing has been on auto-pilot for the most part these last few months. When my daughter gets old enough and shows interest in the game, then I'll start shooting for scratch. Until then, I'm content knowing I can easily shoot in the 70s when I get the putter going.

Thank you everyone, and have a happy new year.

Jared Willerson

Super Moderator
Had my best year as far as finishes go. 3rd place in my local "major". And 3rd in the Chattanooga 4 ball with my partner. Made a lot of progress with my swing but need to get a little better from the 50-110 yard shots. Inside 30 yards and long irons are my strengths but my driver is not up to the same standard distance wise as my long and mid irons. I think I still release too late with the driver leading to some inconsistency

Got my index to 1.8. The lowest it has been and looking forward to bigger improvement next year

Heart and back problems prevented competing (probably ever again) but I never missed a day on the lesson tee and I'm on this side of the divots still sellin that good earth....and if I helped a few people along the way, well what a nice thought that is too.

Status
Not open for further replies.