Ways to teach center face contact?

Status
Not open for further replies.
anyone had success showing/teaching someone to hit the ball on the sweetspot?

what are some of the ways to get someone with a tendency to hit shots "off center" back to the "sweetspot"?

I think off center hits are typically a problem with the path. Particularly the path being inconsistent or the path not being where it typically is or just a real extreme path.

For instance, I think that if a golfer typically hits the ball with a +2* path very well, if they are having problems finding the sweetspot then their path may be jumping all over the place or it may be at +6* now instead of at +2* or they may have a path that is extreme at say +9*.

IMO, golfers pretty much know the value of hitting the sweetspot, even if they are a beginner. So if they are having problems, I would probably look at the path and what's causing the problems with the path. If the path is okay, then I would look at the clubface.

3JACK

i may very well be wrong, but i thought that path and location of contact were independent of each other.

i may very well be wrong, but i thought that path and location of contact were independent of each other.

I don't think they are always connected to each other. But I do feel that if there are path issues, typically the hits will be off center.

I used Trackman last Saturday and one thing I did was take notice of my mis-hits and almost all of them showed some discrepency in the path. I hit the ball well that day, so I didn't have a lot of mis-hits, thus the sample size wasn't that good.

I look at it like if I were to hit a shot and in the middle of my swing somebody were to move the ball a bit further away from me, the path would ultimately change to some degree and I would likely not may sweetspot contact.

I could be wrong, but I would need a lot of evidence that the two are always independent of each other.

3JACK

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
I think off center hits are typically a problem with the path. Particularly the path being inconsistent or the path not being where it typically is or just a real extreme path.

For instance, I think that if a golfer typically hits the ball with a +2* path very well, if they are having problems finding the sweetspot then their path may be jumping all over the place or it may be at +6* now instead of at +2* or they may have a path that is extreme at say +9*.

IMO, golfers pretty much know the value of hitting the sweetspot, even if they are a beginner. So if they are having problems, I would probably look at the path and what's causing the problems with the path. If the path is okay, then I would look at the clubface.

3JACK

Extreme path, yes. However general path issues i don't quite agree with. If you work on a trackman or any monitor that measures path; generally path is the consistent number and doesn't vary "a ton." Even with big time slicers with very out/in paths they end up having very consistent out/in paths haha.

Generally center face contact is more of a RESULT of doing everything else right; meaning proper ball placement, good path and face, correct lie angle, correct distance from the ball, etc.

what are some of the ways to get someone with a tendency to hit shots "off center" back to the "sweetspot"?

from a clubfitter point of view :D : change club length, normally shorter. Also check lie angle

How about VSP?? Do any of you Trackman owners see any percentage of correlation between high vsp equaling toe and low vsp equaling heel? Whenever I have a...wait...shanker, I explain the geometry of the club and hand position through impact, what do you guys think?

Oh, btw, for you Casio owners, Brian showed me a great way to check centeredness. Set up parallel lines about a club heads width apart (use string or paint), and film from directly above the ball in 1000 fps. Great image of path, face angle, contact point, and face rotation.

I don't know about anyone else, but my 1 iron forces me to shape up in a hurry.

I usually find that if I'm hitting off center then my setup isn't where it should be as far as weight shift and tilt over the ball.

I don't know about anyone else, but my 1 iron forces me to shape up in a hurry.

I usually find that if I'm hitting off center then my setup isn't where it should be as far as weight shift and tilt over the ball.

true.

do you work on path and face to get it on the sweetspot? or do you get them hitting it on the sweetspot, then work on path and face?

Last edited:

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
Sure, there could be a ton of reasons. The cause of mis hits depends, imo, on the skill level of the player. A beginner with less than average hand eye can be shaped into a pretty good looking swing but will never find the sweetspot as frequently as a more talented person. But timing, leakage, hosel lagging, flip, poor angle are just some reasons anyone would miss it.

greenfree

Banned
Sure, there could be a ton of reasons. The cause of mis hits depends, imo, on the skill level of the player. A beginner with less than average hand eye can be shaped into a pretty good looking swing but will never find the sweetspot as frequently as a more talented person. But timing, leakage, hosel lagging, flip, poor angle are just some reasons anyone would miss it.

So a person of lesser talent/skill level just makes more errors more often. When a more talented player runs into a bad stretch of ball striking is it related to bad mechanics/their fundamentals are off somewhere?

westy

New
impact tape

it will highlight the patterns, and then you start training the opposite.
Someone who hits the ball off the heel, take his cellphone and put it just outside the ball..., or a brick, or a pool noodle, ......:)
generally people who hit it high on the face are coming in too steep,
thinners clubheads are rising...((((((generally))))))....

Status
Not open for further replies.