Weak left hand grips

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
Cause you did not weaken your right hand grip.

Possible, hpwever what i've seen is you could be flipping to get the face square since you're not used to needing more clubface rotation to get it square. It's the same reason why when i tried to go to a stronger grip from my more neutral grip i hooked everything because i have just ingrained a certain amount of rotation and to slow it down just isn't worth my effort.

Not so sure about the rotational aspect Jim. But I do agree with the flip aspect as I think maybe the wrist is more susceptible to breaking down in the weaker position. I just can't hit a fade - neither with a strong grip nor a weak one - so I think the grip logic of the past (weak = fade, strong = draw) has nutin to do with it

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
wulsy you're proving my point, weaker grip generally requires more rotation or tumble and if you don't you'll need to flip it to square it up. That's what i'm trying to say. For someone who's coming from a strong grip and going neutral, most aren't used to the amount of rotation needed to square it up (without flipping it at it).

JIM what is your desired preference strong left weak right was a grip used by alot on tour, I try stronger all the time but like you I tend to hook it, Im not that rotational. also in times of rain and humidity I loose grip alot, what would make this better , also do you bleieve that a stronger grips equals more distance or does that work mostly for higher caps, love talking grip

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
JIM what is your desired preference strong left weak right was a grip used by alot on tour, I try stronger all the time but like you I tend to hook it, Im not that rotational. also in times of rain and humidity I loose grip alot, what would make this better , also do you bleieve that a stronger grips equals more distance or does that work mostly for higher caps, love talking grip

My preference in grip really depends on student and ability, however if all things being equal and i could create a grip everyone uses it would be a few degrees stronger than neutal. When you try stronger do you mean left hand? Right hand? Both? For slipperly grips make sure 1) they are clean and not worn out. you can clean then with some dish soap and a wash cloth. dish soap is quite the degreaser and if you scrub it in with a wash cloth, you'll get them tacky again. 2) Ever try cords? Stronger grips could create more distance because of loft or path changes and sometimes can create more speed in higher handicaps if their weak grip was force them to lose speed to square up the face sooner.

My preference in grip really depends on student and ability, however if all things being equal and i could create a grip everyone uses it would be a few degrees stronger than neutal. When you try stronger do you mean left hand? Right hand? Both? For slipperly grips make sure 1) they are clean and not worn out. you can clean then with some dish soap and a wash cloth. dish soap is quite the degreaser and if you scrub it in with a wash cloth, you'll get them tacky again. 2) Ever try cords? Stronger grips could create more distance because of loft or path changes and sometimes can create more speed in higher handicaps if their weak grip was force them to lose speed to square up the face sooner.

Sandpaper before cleaning is great on non cord rubber grips to restore tackiness

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
Sandpaper before cleaning is great on non cord rubber grips to restore tackiness

This does work because you are literally sanding away the rubber to expose a non-greasy piece of rubber underneath it. If you use the soap/wash cloth method you won't be articially ruining your grips as the soap will get into the rubber and help decrease them.

Both methods work but yours will wear out the grips faster, that's all i'm saying.

Actually I was thinking about the grip not the golf grip, I have a tough time in humidity and I know stronger grips have more control than weaker grips with regards to hands slipping, some people can play with out gloves but they usually have stronger grips. I am a scratch player and always looking to get better, I am working on a stronger left hand grip, and trying both neutral right and stronger right. Also I am working on the info from Brians body video one of his best , my iron play seems much better and atleast half or more club longer not that I care how far I hit an 8 iron but just want it to be solid. Thanks for reading TIM YORKE

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
Actually I was thinking about the grip not the golf grip, I have a tough time in humidity and I know stronger grips have more control than weaker grips with regards to hands slipping, some people can play with out gloves but they usually have stronger grips. I am a scratch player and always looking to get better, I am working on a stronger left hand grip, and trying both neutral right and stronger right. Also I am working on the info from Brians body video one of his best , my iron play seems much better and atleast half or more club longer not that I care how far I hit an 8 iron but just want it to be solid. Thanks for reading TIM YORKE

I have overly sweaty hands and went to my dermatologist and i had 3 options:

1) Surgery (not recommended)
2) Botox (costly and not covered by insurance)
3) Concentrated samples/prescriptions of aluminum chloride hexahydrate

I went with option 3, essentially it's the main ingrediant in antiperspirant that keeps you from sweating. I use it before a round and my hands don't sweat even in 90+ weather and since i've been doing this i only had to use it twice in 1 round. It was 100 in NC and humid.

Go to your dermatologist and/or buy some offline.

This does work because you are literally sanding away the rubber to expose a non-greasy piece of rubber underneath it. If you use the soap/wash cloth method you won't be articially ruining your grips as the soap will get into the rubber and help decrease them.

Both methods work but yours will wear out the grips faster, that's all i'm saying.

Jim I should've listed my caveat that I only bring out the sandpaper toward the tail end of grip life. After that procedure they'll need relaxing soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.