Wedding ring up problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

leon

New
Am really struggling with this. Feel like I can hold the twist well into the downswing (last parallel) but then I lose it and flip. Ball flight is usually straight but short and super high.

Cannot get to wedding ring up, no matter what I try. What am I missing?

Try slowing the swing down a bit and stop the swing when the shaft is parallel to the ground after impact and make sure the club face is facing the ground.

When you get good at this, allow the the club to get to perpendicular with the ground and make sure the club face is pointing down the fairway("toward the movie screen" as Brian would say). To do this you have to fold the left elbow(if you're swinging right handed) so that you're looking at the inside of the left forearm.

leon

New
Try slowing the swing down a bit and stop the swing when the shaft is parallel to the ground after impact and make sure the club face is facing the ground.

Had a little success with this at the range today. Contact was generally improved and I hit quite a few smothered hooks, so I must have been turning the face down. I struggled to straighten things out though and a lot of my finishes had the toe up and a chicken wing.

try to hit the ball with a lot of shaft lean

Thanks Jim, I'll give it a go. Although I struggle to get my hands forward enough at impact. I think its down to a poor pivot as the good shots I hit today I really felt like my pivot pulled my hands forward of my left hip. Does that sound right?

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
Thanks Jim, I'll give it a go. Although I struggle to get my hands forward enough at impact. I think its down to a poor pivot as the good shots I hit today I really felt like my pivot pulled my hands forward of my left hip. Does that sound right?

Yes you need to pivot enough and swing left enough to your hands in front enough.

Most often the root cause for a slice is an open clubface. Using the NSA swivel helps fix the clubface. It sounds as if you also have a bit of a flip, so you have to keep the pivot going to get your hands in front enough in order to not flip.

If you are a slicer, then you may need to feel like you are swinging right. But, fixing the clubface first may take care of the path. If that is the case, then you will need to continue your pivot to what hookers would feel as swinging left.

Had a little success with this at the range today. Contact was generally improved and I hit quite a few smothered hooks, so I must have been turning the face down. I struggled to straighten things out though and a lot of my finishes had the toe up and a chicken wing.

You need to be able to this and hit the ball straight. That will require you to pivot more.

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
Now I'm confused. Doesn't NSA advocate a less leftward swing? Or is it just less leftward than your typical OTT slice?

Yes but that's assuming he is way over the top; a lot of people are just trying to swing "down the target line" and they flip or leave the face open. It's a case by case thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.