Wedge set ups

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, let's hear you current wedge set. A little description of why

Give the degree of each wedge starting with, obviously, your pitching wedge.

Titleist MB - 47

SM4 - 53 (bent from 54) bounce 7

SM4 - 58 bounce 9

SM4 - 62 (bent from 60) bounce 9 - * will switch out to SM4 60 with 4 degrees of bounce occasionally if conditions warrant.

I go 4 wedges because I am massively long and rarely have to hit anything but driver wedge. No, no in all seriousness, I have found that having different bounce angle s becoming as important to me as the different lofts. So having that 58 with 9 degrees of bounce is great out of the bunkers as an example.

bcoak

New
PW - Wishon 560MC - 47
Wishon hm Wedge - 52.06
Wishon HM Wedge - 56.12
Wishon HM wedge - 60.10

4 wedges because short game is the focus.

PW - Ping i5 46*
GW - Ping iWedge 50* with 11* of bounce
SW - Ping iWedge 54* with 12* of bounce
LW - Ping iWedge 58* with 11.5* of bounce

Like the consisent 4* gaps for my wedges, as distance control is an issue for me. Historically, I have been very steep and hit down a lot on my irons, so the higher bounce tends to help me, but tight fairway lies at times give me some grief. With some recent swing changes, my AoA has gotten more shallow but I am still contemplating going with a lower bounce lob wedge.

Last edited:
Puttmaster and bcoak,

I notice a higher bounce in your sandwedge (54 and 56). Is that your choice of club from the bunker or any particular reason?

Puttmaster and bcoak,

I notice a higher bounce in your sandwedge (54 and 56). Is that your choice of club from the bunker or any particular reason?
Lindsey,

Depending on the situation, I use either the 60.07 (primarily, due to elevated greens) or the 54.11 for the sand/greenside lobs. Got the 54 with 11* bounce mainly for my confidence/go-to wedge when ground is soft, wet, fluffy lie, etc.

Last season:
PW- Titleist Z Muscle 47
GW- Callaway X forged 51 (bent from 50) - used for 120 yds to 100 yds
SW- Callaway X forged 56 (believe bounce was 10 or 12) - choice from the sand and used 90yds down to 10yds
LW- Callaway X forged 62.8 - only when necessary (short sided), never hit distance wedge shots with this

This Season:
Mizuno MP-59 PW - 46
Callaway X forged - 51 (about to be replaced by SM4 52)
Titleist SM4 58.9

My GW is really just used as an extension of my iron set. I do grip down on it to vary the distance by up to 20yds. I went to the 3 wedge setup as i enjoy practicing shots around the green with one wedge and varying the technique/face angle. The 58.9 SM4 does what my 56 and my 62 did combined except better; the SM4 may have less bounce as stated than my old 56, but the way the sole is designed with that ridge towards the back middle of the sole gives awesome forgiveness and confidence when hitting mid-sole pitches. I could do this with the 56 and it was fine, but the 62 even with a similar amount of stated bounce would leave shots dumped at my feet if i tried a mid sole pitch shot. The sole design on the 58.9 is also great out of sand, even fluffy sand... it has bought me an empty slot in my setup.

48 degree Taylor Made R9 - For protection from "zee Germans"
52 degree Taylor Made 11* bounce - It's like an anti-aircraft gun, Vincent
56 degree Taylor Made 8* bounce - Got R.E.P.L.I.C.A written down the side

mizuno mp 57 PW 47 bounce 6

callaway x forged 52 bounce 12 used mostly for full swings and long bunker shots, some chips

callaway x forged 56 bounce 14 used for 90% of greenside bunker shots, pitches 10-75 yards, most chips

callaway x forged 58 bounce 10 used for flop shots and short sided pitches/bunker shots

2 years ago, 5 wedges. 48.6, 52.8, 56.12, 60.4, & 64.0. Got confused alot.
Last year, 4 wedges. Dropped the 64.0. Still confused.
This year, 3 wedges. 48.6, 53.8, 58.12. Still confused, but a little less.

I used to have a pretty sharp short game. I carried a 56.12 and it could handle any shot I needed. Since then, I've been convinced that I needed more wedges (Pelz), less wedges (Richie3Jack and his "danger zone"), wedges with more bounce (Stan Utley), and wedges with different bounce angles (myself, lol).

Starting to think the clubs don't have anything to do with being confused.

adams CB3 50' gap wedge - use this on a lot of longer chip & runs

Vokey 54 degree 11' bounce - mostly used from the sand

Vokey 60 degree 4' bounce lob wedge favorite club in the bag! Use a lot from fairways and tight packed bunkers. Also haven't had any major issues using it from the rough.

How do you like those ATV wedges?

Wrong verb... :)

images

Set Configured by Ping Fitter with a couple of decades of experience.
PW Ping S56 White Dot 47 bent to 46 All irons in set bent 1 degree strong Bounce was 12 degrees so now 11 I guess
GW Ping Tour S Yellow Dot 50 bent to 51 bounce 12 now 13
SW Ping Tour S Yellow Dot 56 bounce 12 degrees
LW Ping Tour S Yellow Dot 60 bounce 10 degrees

All I can say is that these wedges have improved my wedge play versus the Scratch Wedges I played with last season.

Status
Not open for further replies.