Wedge specs and the "tour pitch"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Brian and i found this weekend, that a thinner sole with more bounce makes the tour pitch easier

I obviously don't understand bounce that well because I thought you would want LESS bounce. I figure the more bounce the greater chance of hitting that sucker super thin and zinging it across the green.

Can someone help me out? Thanks

Bounce and lie/condition of fairway are linked...not just the shot that you want to play...

Bounce can have be shallow or deep - ie. width of sole ...as well as degrees of bounce.

need right sole grind for lies and shots...

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
For instance...

A sandwedge tends to have a thinner sole with more bounce angle (in degrees). It's the fat part of the sole that helps the club "bounce" out the sand.

A lobwedge tends to have a thicker sole with less bounce angle (in degrees). Usually because nowadays, players want lob wedges that can setup to the ball with the leading edge level to the ground with a square face and when they open the face it will add bounce.

The tour pitch, to an extent, is a skull/thin-ish type of pitch (on purpose).

All will be explained when you take a lesson from Brian and/or when he releases his new short game video.

I like a heel grind in my wedges for opening them up but my SMT wedges were heavy on the heel bounce so what else- I did a custom grind:) First unfinished and then completed job
wedges014.jpg

wedges005.jpg

C-Grind is great, I agree. Available in some of the new Callaway wedges, among others.

The new fancy grooves, like the MD grooves on Callaway wedges, will help you hit all kinds of crazy shots, but they will cut the cover off the golf ball. You have to decide between unbelievable spin and using golf balls for more than a few holes.

Status
Not open for further replies.