Weight loss and swing changes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone have any ideas regarding how a large, rapid weight loss will affect the golf swing? Any experiences dealing with this, from either the instructor or player perspective?

Great coaches are great motivators, and this pic was enough to get my fat a$$ in gear (it's not a disease). I got tired of winning chin contests. I'm down 45 (I know, it's like throwing deck chairs off the Titanic) with a few more to go, but all in all it's been a good move for my game, back, and couch springs.

I'm the two on the left....
mikeandtall.jpg

I went from 195 down to about 155. I feel a lot better, although my golf game has gotten a little worse. I was never that great to begin with though. I think the weight loss also made me realize how dependent on timing my swing was, so after losing all that weight my body wasn't quite in sync anymore. I also lost some power, which has taken me a while to get my sequencing better to get most of it back. Even if it effects your golf game, every time you look in the mirror, it's worth it. I'm not a low handicapper though, so I don't know how it would effect someone with a more solid swing.

Great coaches are great motivators, and this pic was enough to get my fat a$$ in gear (it's not a disease). I got tired of winning chin contests. I'm down 45 (I know, it's like throwing deck chairs off the Titanic) with a few more to go, but all in all it's been a good move for my game, back, and couch springs.

I'm the two on the left....
mikeandtall.jpg

Congrats on the weight loss. Speaking of coaches, I'm hoping to be able to see Brian when he comes to Ann Arbor this year. By that time I will have lost so much weight that he should have something decent to work with :)

I went from 195 down to about 155. I feel a lot better, although my golf game has gotten a little worse. I was never that great to begin with though. I think the weight loss also made me realize how dependent on timing my swing was, so after losing all that weight my body wasn't quite in sync anymore. I also lost some power, which has taken me a while to get my sequencing better to get most of it back. Even if it effects your golf game, every time you look in the mirror, it's worth it. I'm not a low handicapper though, so I don't know how it would effect someone with a more solid swing.

The thing that worries me the most is the loss of power. I'm losing so much so fast, that I'm bound to lose a decent amount of muscle mass (something I'm not thrilled about), and with that some length. But maybe the increased range of motion and the ability to get into better positions will offset that some?

Power is what us big boned guys have to use. I could poke it out there okay before, but I'm a good bit longer now because I have access to more speed. I'd much rather play with speed over brute force, but having both is fun.:)

Power is what us big boned guys have to use. I could poke it out there okay before, but I'm a good bit longer now because I have access to more speed. I'd much rather play with speed over brute force, but having both is fun.:)

Nothing wrong with brute force :)

The thing that worries me the most is the loss of power. I'm losing so much so fast, that I'm bound to lose a decent amount of muscle mass (something I'm not thrilled about), and with that some length. But maybe the increased range of motion and the ability to get into better positions will offset that some?

It might be a good idea to try to work in some weight bearing exercise to help minimize any muscle loss if you haven't already. Doesn't have to be 3 hours in the gym either.

Status
Not open for further replies.