Well, I passed my PAT

Status
Not open for further replies.
I took it for the first time on Tuesday. The target score was 153 and I shot a 147 (73-74). I must say, I've played a decent amount of competitive golf, and that was a new level of pressure for me.

I want to thank Brian, Kevin, and everyone else who has helped me out since I joined the site a couple years ago. I'm not sure I could have passed it without the knowledge I've gained through this forum and my lesson with Brian.

Also, if anyone has any advice on finding eligible employment for the PGA apprentice program, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks.

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
People who say the PAT is easy may want to reconsider that position. Yes, if ur any good you should pass it. However, playing for your job when the job really isnt playing is very difficult. Good going and congrats.

Congrats! It took me three times to pass it. The first time I attempted it I had never played a competitive round in my life, to say it was a long day would be an understatement. The second time I missed by a shot after taking a triple on the last hole. The third time I played well after knowing what to expect.

way to go. Big congrats. How I wish just once.... Knowing that there was a target score always in the back of your mind , did that effect the way you played certain holes, as far as risk or safer shots or green light situations that maybe would'nt be in your normal strategy. Very well done!!!

I took it for the first time on Tuesday. The target score was 153 and I shot a 147 (73-74). I must say, I've played a decent amount of competitive golf, and that was a new level of pressure for me.

I want to thank Brian, Kevin, and everyone else who has helped me out since I joined the site a couple years ago. I'm not sure I could have passed it without the knowledge I've gained through this forum and my lesson with Brian.

Also, if anyone has any advice on finding eligible employment for the PGA apprentice program, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks.

Good for you!

Call me at Tetherow and I'll give you some insights on how to differentiate yourself among 26 thousand other guys: 541 388 2582.

Formula:
1. Great Attitude
2. Hard Work
3. Great Attitude
4. Thirst to always get better.
5. Hard work.

Hopefully you love those elements. Then, maybe, you'll have a fruitful career in the golf business.

Thanks.

TIP

Being successful is all about getting someone to book another lesson with you. You really have to pile on the pressure. Give your pupils big huge compliments on their progress with your tuition and tell them how much better they look and then really belittle how they looked before. Supercharge the pressure by asking presumptious questions like "When do you want to come back?" or "When do you want to come back next week, Tuesday or Wednesday". If they do say no or if they don't want to set a fixed time, try to take their self esteem by saying things like "Your not going to get any better on your own, do you not want to get any better?" or "getting better takes commitment and if you don't book now, you know you will never get any better". If someone has a problem with assertion which a lot of people do, often they fear confrontation enough to convince themselves that it was their decision to rebook.

You may think that I am being somewhat sceptical but that is the reality of business.

Let the results speak for themselves

TIP

Being successful is all about getting someone to book another lesson with you. You really have to pile on the pressure. Give your pupils big huge compliments on their progress with your tuition and tell them how much better they look and then really belittle how they looked before. Supercharge the pressure by asking presumptious questions like "When do you want to come back?" or "When do you want to come back next week, Tuesday or Wednesday". If they do say no or if they don't want to set a fixed time, try to take their self esteem by saying things like "Your not going to get any better on your own, do you not want to get any better?" or "getting better takes commitment and if you don't book now, you know you will never get any better". If someone has a problem with assertion which a lot of people do, often they fear confrontation enough to convince themselves that it was their decision to rebook.

You may think that I am being somewhat sceptical but that is the reality of business.

If I was the student, I think this approach would put an end to any future possibility of booking a lesson with this individual.

If I was the student, I think this approach would put an end to any future possibility of booking a lesson with this individual.

I totally agree that if it was completely obvious to you that you most probably would refuse to rebook again and I also agree that if you were completely unsuspecting and the person doing it to you was experienced at it, he could treat you like this and you would put it down to him "just doing his business".

greenfree

Banned
I totally agree that if it was completely obvious to you that you most probably would refuse to rebook again and I also agree that if you were completely unsuspecting and the person doing it to you was experienced at it, he could treat you like this and you would put it down to him "just doing his business".

Depends on how it's done, the way you described it i think needs a little refinement.:)

Fair enough, but isn't that like saying every car salesman needs to do the "hard sell" to get anyone to buy a car. In my experience, that isn't necessary all the time, and most times it isn't successful.

Depends on how it's done, the way you described it i think needs a little refinement.:)

Exactly! Your absolutely 100% correct that you need to be subtle and always leave an escape clause to be able to turn it around to their paranoia. You could also rewrite the exact same content I did and repackage it in such a way that it would not be so blatantly obvious and would be perfectly acceptable by all and I would add that that is the 'professional way' of describing these tactics vs the 'perfectly open and honest way' of describing them.

Last edited:
Fair enough, but isn't that like saying every car salesman needs to do the "hard sell" to get anyone to buy a car. In my experience, that isn't necessary all the time, and most times it isn't successful.

The issue isn't about whether the hard sell is always necessary, its about being smart enough to do whatever you need to in order to get someone to book with you again. What I wrote was a general rule of thumb to help conjure the correct mentality to have success.

For example...

If someone tells you that they want to book at a later time and gives an excuse that he doesn't know his schedule for next week, whether it is the truth or not, he will just hold a fixed position on this and you will get nowhere.

Better to do this...

Firstly you need to get his number through normal dialogue:

Teacher: Okay that's fine, just let me give you my number so you can phone me when you know your schedule
Pupil: Oh Okay Sure...
Teacher: Would you just give me a one ringer just to check you got the right number and if you call me and I have your number, it also lets me know that it's a call I need to answer.
Pupil: Hmmm, okay....

Let's assume the person is lying. The pupil is trapped into that lie and now it's your leverage is to get them to book again. Up until now they are happy because they think that you are leaving it up to them and that they can just not call you instead of having to confront you which they definitely fear otherwise they wouldn't of lied in the first place.

Now you need to close the deal just before the pupil leaves.

Teacher: So when do you get your schedule?
Pupil: Maybe around Saturday or Sunday.
Teacher: Would you like me to phone you?
Pupil: No it's okay, I'll phone you.
Teacher: Okay, no problem, so I'll probably hear from you around about the weekend.
Pupil: Yeah, I'll maybe phone about then.
Teacher: Okay I'll tell you what, if I don't hear from you by lets say Tuesday I'll give you a call just to see what's happening.
Pupil: You don't need to do that, I'll phone you. Don't worry it's fine.
Teacher: Yeah I know that it doesn't really matter because you'll be phoning anyway but I'll just say that just in case so I that I know what's happening.
Pupil: Okay lets just see, anyway I have to go...

Now don't phone with the mobile phone you stored his number on because it will show him it's you, so phone from another line. Ask him "Did you get your schedule?" and "When would you like your lesson".... Now he's forced to confront you or book and he thinks it's all of his own doing - the pressure is strong. Eventually you will get into a routine and the guy will keep coming back regardless of your teaching ability.

Last edited:
Maybe I missed something, but how did a simple post from a guy
wanting a job in the golf industry turn into a discussion with the implied conclusion
that high pressure sales tactics are the norm in the golf instruction
business.

The sample back and forth between student and teacher is, in my
opinion, really a fabrication. Exchanging name and phone number
is typically a very front end thing with no tactical sales lines required.
In my experience, this is discussed over the phone when appointment
is booked.

In any business category that involves sales to the general public, there
are some bad actors. Car sales has more than it's share.
I do know one thing with great certainty. In sales, you need to ask for the order.
How you ask is critical to success. I have had sales people reporting to me
who really struggled with sealing the deal.

The world of sales is not as dark as Deadly would lead you to believe.

Back to the original topic.
What do you want to do in the golf business?
Full Time Instructor or a Head Golf Professional?
What are you thinking?

Maybe I missed something, but how did a simple post from a guy
wanting a job in the golf industry turn into a discussion with the implied conclusion
that high pressure sales tactics are the norm in the golf instruction
business.

It happened when a guy who wants a job in the golf industry asked for any advice.

Let me ask a question, do you want to be the powerful guy that applies lots and lots of pressure at the right time and uses every piece of leverage at your disposal in the right way as to seal the deal and has more pupils, more money, nice car, winner in life..... or do you want to be the weakling guy that applies no pressure and has less pupils, less money, crap car, loser in life?

The reason I gave this advice is that many people fail because they aren't used to manipulating people. If you want to sell something, you have to do everything except break the law to get them to commit.

The sample back and forth between student and teacher is, in my
opinion, really a fabrication.

Of course it's a fabrication because I made it up. It was to show an example of how within a seemingly benign and typical conversation you can force people to actually confront you or rebook without making it seem sinister. Chances are that the pupil will blame himself for getting into the situation.

Exchanging name and phone number
is typically a very front end thing with no tactical sales lines required.
In my experience, this is discussed over the phone when appointment
is booked.

In any business category that involves sales to the general public, there
are some bad actors. Car sales has more than it's share.
I do know one thing with great certainty. In sales, you need to ask for the order.
How you ask is critical to success. I have had sales people reporting to me
who really struggled with sealing the deal.

This is what greenfree and I were just discussing. This is what is called the 'professional way' of viewing things.

The world of sales is not as dark as Deadly would lead you to believe.

I agree that you said this and that the reality is very different. In this world you can either get what you want or you can twiddle your thumbs. Do you want to be a sheep or do you want to be a lion?

Congratulations Lookingtolearn,

You are ahead of the pack just by passing the P.A.T. on the first try, most do not pass after a couple of attempts, myself included!

My opinion about getting and keeping students is that you better have a huge tool box of information, know how and how much and when to give the information to the student and in the process you better be personable enough to get the student to like you just a little or they will not be back to see you for a lesson. Even if the lesson turned out to be a challange and you felt afterward that you could have done a better job with them, if they had a fun time in the process and they think you can help them you will be ahead of the pack for sure!
If you love to teach and enjoy seeing people "get it" then you will be successful.

Matt

The reason I gave this advice is that many people fail because they aren't used to manipulating people. If you want to sell something, you have to do everything except break the law to get them to commit.

Deadly, I just don't see it your way. I spent a bunch of years in Sales, and in Sales Management. I will grant that
my sales experience was not to the the general public (thank god). It was also not sales of a one off variety. It was sales to Industrial Customers where the goal was to become their supplier.

Manipulation? Of course, but I would describe it like this. For me selling was staying mentally one, two, or three steps ahead of the buyer. It also was striving to be the best problem solver I could be. Solve the customer's problem, he's a hero, you have a sale. The buyer doesn't know he is being persuaded. If you cross the line and the buyer feels too much pressure, you are toast. I think mastery of the "Open Ended Question" is a must for sucessful selling.

In my industry the day of the bull shitter, back slapping, no nothing type of saleman began to recede in the 80's as companies leaned down and started to pay attention to what was going on between their buyers and their vendors.

Most people are not emotionally cut out to handle the daily or hourly rejection that comes with the selling endeavor.
I had a new salesperson actually puke before her first ever sales call. She perserved and became a successful salesperson. You have to have courage and stick-to-it-ivesness to make it in sales.

Last edited:

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
Im not the greatest teacher in the world but I have been doing it over ten years and honestly can say ive never asked a student if they want to rebook or when they will rebook. Ive never advertised and this is my first year with a business card. I dont even say the word "lesson" or "appointment" if i can help it. If your good enough, they'll find you.

Status
Not open for further replies.