well... I think its about time for me to take a break...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Friday, I played the second to last 18 holes with my dad, at the course he works at. You see, for a little over two years now he has worked at this course which has gotten us free golf, whenever we feel like. It has been great... little part time job for him after retirement, and free golf for us both.:cool: I have been learning alot from this site, and from Brian. WOW I know I have said it a few times on here, but I really appreciate everything Brian does for his people on here.

anyway, I GRINDED my way to a 77 on friday, even par on the front nine... great right? I swear I was not comfortable with my swing the whole time, I didnt know what to expect when the ball left the face, I was putting lights out, and my short game was on fire (chip in for birdie on one hole) which explains my even par front nine. But the back nine was not so good. only 3 pars and 6 bogies... my driver, and every other club except my flat stick was giving me problems. I tried everything... everything I ever learned on here, to no avail...

Basicly, I left the course TIED for my best round there, completely discouraged. We have one more free round left now that my dad has quit. This will be my final round in a while, why?

1. I cant afford to pay for golf... haha if I could I would have seen Brian a loooong time ago... Times are tough right now, and really golf isnt as important as keeping my family alive...

2. Im just too discouraged... to shoot a 77 and come away feeling like a shot 97 is none too comforting, from a game I have been playing since I was knee high to a grass hopper.

I probably wont be on here much either though... not that Im any real loss... but right now, I am just fed up, not with you guys, just the game in general...

When you can shoot a 77, but in the same round, cant seem to get a stinking 9 iron to hit the green from 140 out because of no compression and a giant fade... Its all a little frusterating and I need the time off.

Its been fun, Ill see you around guys... Im out.

Z

Zztop

Friday, I played the second to last 18 holes with my dad, at the course he works at. You see, for a little over two years now he has worked at this course which has gotten us free golf, whenever we feel like. It has been great... little part time job for him after retirement, and free golf for us both.:cool: I have been learning alot from this site, and from Brian. WOW I know I have said it a few times on here, but I really appreciate everything Brian does for his people on here.

anyway, I GRINDED my way to a 77 on friday, even par on the front nine... great right? I swear I was not comfortable with my swing the whole time, I didnt know what to expect when the ball left the face, I was putting lights out, and my short game was on fire (chip in for birdie on one hole) which explains my even par front nine. But the back nine was not so good. only 3 pars and 6 bogies... my driver, and every other club except my flat stick was giving me problems. I tried everything... everything I ever learned on here, to no avail...

Basicly, I left the course TIED for my best round there, completely discouraged. We have one more free round left now that my dad has quit. This will be my final round in a while, why?

1. I cant afford to pay for golf... haha if I could I would have seen Brian a loooong time ago... Times are tough right now, and really golf isnt as important as keeping my family alive...

2. Im just too discouraged... to shoot a 77 and come away feeling like a shot 97 is none too comforting, from a game I have been playing since I was knee high to a grass hopper.

I probably wont be on here much either though... not that Im any real loss... but right now, I am just fed up, not with you guys, just the game in general...

When you can shoot a 77, but in the same round, cant seem to get a stinking 9 iron to hit the green from 140 out because of no compression and a giant fade... Its all a little frusterating and I need the time off.

Its been fun, Ill see you around guys... Im out.

All the best. Family first, no contest there, golf after all is just a game for most of us.:)

Lefty, I hope things work on the finance side and that golf pulls you back in some time in the near future. Best of luck.

I say setup a net and a mat in the garage and Johnny Miller those suckers into the net so when you return to playing... man, you'll be scary good with the irons.

All the best.

Hey Dash, I've thought about giving this game up as well. It's supposed to be fun but it seems like you just end up getting frustrated and pissed off. I just played in a couples best shot for 50 bucks and was pissed off 1/2 the time. That's not right!! But for some reason, the love of the game pulls me back in. Take some time off but come back when you are ready. You don't want to look back 30 years from now saying I wish I would have never left the game.

Just remember that you are still very young and almost everyone has down times in their life. You will get by this and become a greater person and your family will become stronger. I hope to see you here in better times. God bless man.

Curtis

Ill play... I am just used to playing at least once a month, for the past 4 years or so...

when I started to get serious agian, around age 16 I was just starting to break 100, in 6 years, I have broke 100, 90 and 80. :) 80 only happened becuase of this site...

I just realised on friday, that while there was no way I wasnt going to shoot a great round... I wasnt having fun. and there are better things to be doing with my time.
Im not leaving... just not as enthusiastic as I used to be.

kind of sucks in a way... I finaly start shooting in the 70s pretty regular, and I just dont have the desire to do it anymore...:(

westy

New
Maybe you reached your goal.

The only Zero left has a 7 in front of it.
Giant high fades come from open faces.
Keep learning.
Seek the perfect shot.

Good luck to you man. This game can be ridiculously frustrating at times and we've all been there. I agree with the above post, set up a net and keep hittin' it as much as you can. It won't cost you any $ to keep your ballstriking sharp, and you may even be better when you can back for it. It's done a ton for me.

Dash-

I've had the same thought many times. Like when the club I belong to raises its dues for the fifth year in a row - in the teeth of one of the worst recessions on record. Or when you go on a golf trip and you stink it up so bad your buddies are afraid to even offer a suggestion. Missing a two footer. But, golf is a gift and it has given me some of the finest memories of my adult life. Playing a round with my father-in-law and my son. An uphill 185 yard five iron tee shot that held the pin the whole way and rolled in like a putt. A rainy, windy day at Chambers Bay with great company that I can only describe as magical. It's these moments when I remind myself that the only reason that I'm enjoying them is that I didn't quit. Hang in there. Things will get better.

Last edited:
Thanks guys, I do agree with you all... In fact I have seen many of these threads get started, and always thought to myself, "why would you want to lay off for a while" well... now I know...

I also have so many fond memories... One of which being the fact that my father and I never seem to see eye to eye on anything... However when it comes to golf, its a whole different story. It has definitely been the glue in our relationship over the years and for that I am grateful...

Thanks for the "pep talk" guys. ;)

Man...I know the EXACT feeling....

I'm not as good as you are. Started playing 4 years ago at age 47. Was horrible. When I first came to this site and saw Brian for lessons, my handicap was over 30. I am now down to a 16. I am scoring better than ever but...some days I stand over a shot and just know its going to be good. Other days, I stand over a shot and have no feel at all. Still, I make my way around the course and think...this wasn't fun, I can do better...and yet I end up with a score that I would have really been happy with a year ago. It's so hard to keep the feel for me.

Two weeks ago, I snapped my driver shaft around my neck I was so frustrated. Pulled last year's driver out of the garage and stated hitting the driver at a much different level. Estatic!

Still, the game keeps me coming back! You live in Flordia and there is a lot of cheap golf after 2-3pm. Some courses here is the Orlando and Daytona area are like $10-15 for all the golf you can place after 3pm. Take advantage of that occasionally and stay in the game.

Thanks guys, I do agree with you all... In fact I have seen many of these threads get started, and always thought to myself, "why would you want to lay off for a while" well... now I know...

I also have so many fond memories... One of which being the fact that my father and I never seem to see eye to eye on anything... However when it comes to golf, its a whole different story. It has definitely been the glue in our relationship over the years and for that I am grateful...

Thanks for the "pep talk" guys. ;)

Dash, my father died 8 years ago. We used to go to watch Rugby League together - I'd give a lot to do that again. If golf brings you and your father together it's worth carrying on just for that.

I can feel Dashfan's pain...

Golf was great for me when I first started 10 years ago, it was exciting and breaking a 100 was awesome, 90 even better, and I damn near had heart failure when I broke 80.

Wow, now I'm a 6 index, tracking to a 4-5 , have shot in the 70's 5/8 rounds on a course that is 6850 from the tips, and more difficult than the average track.

But this is where the work starts, damn it's difficult to shoot even par or get to a scratch level handicap. I had no idea when I started this game, how good you really have to be to shoot par or be at a scratch level. You can't afford one bad shot, one three putt, one moment of lost focus and it's blown. I play in our scratch league match play event, shot a 76 and got closed out on 16, ughh.

I will say this, my appreciation of really good golfers has grown a huge amount, because I feel I know how difficult it really is to play at a high level.

It's work now, I still do it because I'm passionate about getting better, but to get to where I want to be can be a grind at times...

Yeah... Focus... that's a hard commodity to come by. haha espesialy on the golf course...

Let me tell you guys, I agree with Tball. People that are scratch or are carrying a +1 or 2 are in a whole different league than anyone else that can "shoot" in the seventies or carry a single digit handy cap like myself.
I believe it starts without a doubt, in being able to maintain focus. They have either trained themselves to have it, or are naturally good with maintaining focus.

Jerks... ;)

At some point, I may have to spend some time learning how to be less obssessed and less perfectionist and just enjoy the game more. I know quite a few low handicappers who quit golf permanently because they could never improve to a level they had once aimed for or never again hit a level that they had once attained. But, heck, I didn't quit listening to music once I realized my practice would never ever in a million years make me even a decent musician, much less put me in the league with Clifford Brown. It would be a shame to let relatively striving to meet certain goals stand in the way of enjoying a game I do really love to play, watch, and think about.

Last edited:

vandal

New
Let me get this straight -- you're whining about shooting a 77 and being a single-digit handicap? You've already acheived what only about 10% of all golfers ever accomplish, and you're whining? I'm sorry I feel nothing for you except contempt. If you've lost passion and don't have fun go ahead and walk away, but if you're doing it because you can't get what you want, you're a quitter. Go ahead, but you'll never know your potential if you walk. And what if this is it? What if the best you'll ever be is this? What's wrong with that? Were you thinking PGA or something? Oh well, one more tee time open for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.