Westwood's crooked left arm

Status
Not open for further replies.
How does Westwood hit it so well with that bent left arm? I have a similar move and cannot seem to generate the kind of sweet contact that he does. Other than great talent, what do you guys think.
Jimmy

great timing. he seems to dive hard with the hips and lower body and uses the bent left arm to control low point.

Breed was talking about last night, and relating it to high handicappers who throw the club from over the top in an effort to square the clubface, but as we know, you throw the club over the top because the clubface is OPEN. Westwood prob. fights the hooks, as most top players often do, so he keeps his left arm bent to help him keep his clubface open through impact and separation.

Yeah the hands don't rotate over so much because the left arm is bent, as a result he hits soft fades and rarely hits it left, a way to consistently drive the ball well.

And just look at the head position – it’s ‘behind the ball turning’. Lee never gets ahead of it

If only that had been true on Sunday, Westwood might be the Players' champion. From what I could see it was precisely that he was getting ahead of it that led to the sliced and pulled drives.

If only that had been true on Sunday, Westwood might be the Players' champion. From what I could see it was precisely that he was getting ahead of it that led to the sliced and pulled drives.

Westwood really swung hard at it all day on Sunday. He tried to muscle his way around the course. He needs to stop lifting a frickin' dumbell and train for speed if he wants to hit it further. I don't get the whole weight lifting and adding bulk in golf. Speed kills in golf.

greenfree

Banned
Westwood really swung hard at it all day on Sunday. He tried to muscle his way around the course. He needs to stop lifting a frickin' dumbell and train for speed if he wants to hit it further. I don't get the whole weight lifting and adding bulk in golf. Speed kills in golf.

It's amazing how much you know about Westwood and what he should do.

Actually it's amazing how much you know about the golf swing in such a short time that you have been involved with golf.

When are you going to start teaching full time? I would like to book a lesson. P.M. me and we can set a date.

What Phil said above makes a lot of sense because I am a diver and also have fought hooks in ;the past, but does anyone have any suggestions on how to fix this "problem"?
thanks,
Jimmy

Jared Willerson

Super Moderator
It's amazing how much you know about Westwood and what he should do.

Actually it's amazing how much you know about the golf swing in such a short time that you have been involved with golf.

When are you going to start teaching full time? I would like to book a lesson. P.M. me and we can set a date.

not quite an LOL, but I did chuckle quietly to myself. :)

What Phil said above makes a lot of sense because I am a diver and also have fought hooks in ;the past, but does anyone have any suggestions on how to fix this "problem"?
thanks,
Jimmy

Jimmy, the fix may not really be needed, if you tend to hook the ball with this so called dive move perhaps some more attention to the path / clubface will help. Perhaps a later release feel will also help you start the ball farther to the right and draw the ball more to the target.

I like Lee's move a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.