What are the fundamental rules of the game?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm a high school golf coach and it's time to start getting ready for the season again. I always have difficulty teaching the rules of golf in a way that will allow my players to apply them during a round of golf.

I had an idea the other day to break the rules down and focus on the "fundamental" rules. The top twenty or so rules that are most important to the game.

My question is what would those fundamental rules be? Anyone have any input?

Jared Willerson

Super Moderator
Red stakes

White Stakes

Yellow Stakes

How to take a drop from each

Do not ground the club in a bunker

Play it as it lies.

Relief drops from a.) Casual Water b.) Cart Paths

Those are the ones that a lot of my players either get confused on or I need to teach, to me those are the very basics that every HS golfer should know

i see often confusion about yellow and red stakes

3 options for yellow

5 options for red.

ask them what they are...

also ask them about penalty for slow play:)

I also coach HS golf and every year it is interesting to see how some of the kids will apply the rules...funny what they can come up with. In any event, have the kids make all the decisions and apply the rules during play; this is how they learn.

Both of the prior posts are good. Here are some additions that seem to come up every year:

1) be clear about the Advice rule, both for players and parents. In our area some leagues allow players from the same school in the same group to play as teammates and give each other advice in matches (e.g. line of putt). in tourneys, obviously no advice.

2) lost ball = stoke and distance

3) A player can not move a white out of bounds stake/marker to play a shot (they can move other moveable obstructions).

4) Margins - the ball must be entirely out of bounds to be out of bounds, but on hazards it is in the hazard if it touches a yellow/red line, ground under repair, etc...

Also, it is good for all players to know:

1) declaring and hitting a provisional if in doubt - speeds up play.
2) Playing two balls if there is a question on how to proceed (Rule 3-3). Then at end of round, ask for ruling before signing card. This is key as it prevents an unnecessary DQ.
3) How to ID nearest point of relief...it doesn't have to be a "good" place where a player can easily play their next shot...it might be in a bush or a worse position.
4) In free relief situations, make sure to tell a fellow competitor what you are doing so they know and don't think you are breaking any rules.

Good luck!

Dariusz J.

Here is an amateur opinion from golf 3rd world. Rules are too complicated ! People go away from golf because they cannot grasp the rules while being pressed by the so-called "rules experts".
I know the topic of the thread is differsnt, so I'd say that the most important rule for an amateur is to know penalties an consequences of penalties in order not to appear to be a cheater. Amateurs must understand that their life is not as pampered as these laughable pros that they see in TV. I know it is tough but it becomes pleasant and rewarding :). Two points for lost ball without hazard, one point with drop no closer to the hole counting from where it drops the hazard, no matter red or yellow (enough to say this !!!), no friiggin OBs on courses (I know, but one should build a course with margins !!!), etc.

Do not forget that too complicated rules can be a nail into the coffin for a game.

Cheers

Some good advice in previous posts. My thoughts:
*Give them a rule book
*Tell them the only time they can put their hands on the ball without a penalty is 1) on the tee, 2) on the green or 3)as permitted by the rules.
*Not to be confused with the rules but, educate them on etiquette--a basic course is provided in Watson's book and others.
Best regards!

eoscar

I think the Shortcut to Golf Rules book the USGA puts out is pretty helpful. It has color photos and shows picture examples common rules encounters. I think they run about $10 and would be a huge asset in the bags of many young players.

here is an idea...ask your students to name the dumbest rules in golf. That should promote interest and participation and interest promotes learning.

Here is an amateur opinion from golf 3rd world. Rules are too complicated ! People go away from golf because they cannot grasp the rules while being pressed by the so-called "rules experts".
I know the topic of the thread is differsnt, so I'd say that the most important rule for an amateur is to know penalties an consequences of penalties in order not to appear to be a cheater. Amateurs must understand that their life is not as pampered as these laughable pros that they see in TV. I know it is tough but it becomes pleasant and rewarding :). Two points for lost ball without hazard, one point with drop no closer to the hole counting from where it drops the hazard, no matter red or yellow (enough to say this !!!), no friiggin OBs on courses (I know, but one should build a course with margins !!!), etc.

Do not forget that too complicated rules can be a nail into the coffin for a game.

Cheers

I agree, and so does Nicklaus. He recently said on the Golf Channel that they need to re-do the entire rules book because it's actually harder to pass the bar exam than to be a qualified rules expert.

I think there needs to be more common sense applied into the rules. I heard an interview with a golfer talking about being DQ'd years ago on an incorrect scorecard. There were people watching and the scorecard had the correct totals on both 9's and the total 18 hole score, but the guy he was playing with put in a 4 instead of a 3 on a hole and then added up the score wrong and that got him DQ'd.

To me, that's really not 'in the spirit' of the rules. Same thing with the Stadler DQ years ago.

I love the fact that the game is a gentleman's game and it's based on integrity, but sometimes they go too far and be ridiculous and it just drives people away from the game.

3JACK

It has been asserted that the complexity of the rules drives people away from the game.

Frankly, I doubt it. You have to try to learn the rules before the rules would drive you away. My bet is that most people sort of know the basic rules, but couldn't pass a rules test. I would think that ranks way down the list of reasons that people who play golf decide to not play golf. Why would I say this?

My reason is simply reflecting on my years of playing golf. Sure, I played some country club tournaments, but mostly just regular 4 some golf. I can't remember ever having a
strong debate about application of a certain rule. There was never anything meaningful on the line. For instance, "Stroke and Distance Penalty". Who's going to walk, or ride back to the tee and hit again? The next group may already be on the tee and won't be happy that
you are backing up the course. Answer? Drop a ball, take the penalty shots and play on.

That's my view based on my regular golfer experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.