what determines swing direction?

Status
Not open for further replies.
other than the clubface, what are the major determinants of the hsp/direction of the swing?

hand path at start down? hand path at takeaway? axis tilt? aim? or too many to mention?

You say, "other than the clubface." I don't think the clubface would influence the direction of the swing at all, except for the intent of having them both going towards the target for a straight-ish shot.

I would think that shoulder alignment at address would be a fairly decent starting point, and then there are likely going to be a lot of variables affecting HSP during the swing, some of which you've mentioned.

You say, "other than the clubface." I don't think the clubface would influence the direction of the swing at all, except for the intent of having them both going towards the target for a straight-ish shot.

I would think that shoulder alignment at address would be a fairly decent starting point, and then there are likely going to be a lot of variables affecting HSP during the swing, some of which you've mentioned.

mj,

You are correct. I was thinking of the clubface from the perspective of intent. For example, NSA twistaway will move HSP more to the right in most cases. Sorry for not being more clear.

So no one component trumps all others in the direction of the swing?
Maybe a "top 5" of things to do to alter an HSP?

Ok, I'l give it a shot:

1. Shoulder Alignment at address (pretty straightforward)
2. Axis Tilt/Lateral movement of the hip (more = more rightward HSP for a RH golfer)
3. Arm Swing/Hand Path (some will re-route their arms independently of the other factors)
4. Pivot breaking too early on the way down (releasing the arms while the upper body is still closed)
5. Ball position that's too far back (often in concert with #1). This would be exaggerated with an overly-flat downswing "plane."

I don't know if that's the order I would put them in, but I'd keep #1 at #1 in any case.

I'm very interested to see others' lists.

The Sweetspot Plane will eminate from the Hand Plane, plus wrist movements/positions, which can cause the two planes to differ. All swing components can affect the location of the Hand Plane and wrist movement/positions.

C'mon Todd, throw the guy a bone. You're good enough to put up a top 5 list...
:)

What would your 5 most common fixes for a too-rightward (or leftward) Horizontal Plane be?

Well MJ, like Kevin said, the pivot is HUGE. More lateral hip movement/spine axis tilt in the downswing promotes a more rightward horizontal plane direction, and visca versa.

Status
Not open for further replies.