What if golf tournaments were structured like poker tournaments?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not a real big fan of these hypothetical situations that scientists, philosophers and other self-proclaimed existentialists sit around and dream up but I think this one is kinda good.....:p

I was watching TGC tonight and some random guy is discrediting Dustin Johnson's win @ Pebble this week because it was 54 holes, Tiger wasn't in the field, blah blah blah. That he didn't have to "go through the fire" and "gut it out" for the win.

PLEASE! These guys have NOTHING to lose. You show up, get paid a ton of money to wear "Brand A's" clothes and hit "Brand B's" clubs. The fat guy in the yellow bow tie was right, these guys are "battle tested" and "hard nosed." :rolleyes:

Let's see these guys put up $5-10k per week to play and THAT'S the prize pool. No sponsorship money, no appearance fees, no courtesy cars.

You think you're better than the guy next to you on the range? Then put up some cash and show me!

PS - How quickly would the action dry up for all the tournaments that Tiger played in? How many would willingly sacrifice value to order to save face by not bowing out of "Tiger tournaments?"

You think you've seen guys choke now? Wait till it's their own money on the line!

have u ever watched a poker tournament on tv? those players have tons of endorsements. what do you think the odds would have been that dustin johnson would have won that tournament if they had played the final round? 2-1 maybe? i would have taken the field to catch him.

have u ever watched a poker tournament on tv? those players have tons of endorsements.

Not true!!! Only a very very small group of tournament poker players have endorsements. Also tournament poker is the sissy form of poker... Most cash game players don't hold tournament poker in high esteem.

The same thing with tournament golf, where you just place to win, or make the cut.

Mongoose in order for your idea to work it would have to be in a SNG single table tournament style format: you have to put up your money, and beat your foursome to continue the tournament... You would have to keep trucking until your down to the last 4some. NO making a cut just to grind some money. That would be awesome to watch as a gambler, and a golf fan. It would take real nerves to be a constant winner... More at stake.

Not true!!! Only a very very small group of tournament poker players have endorsements. Also tournament poker is the sissy form of poker... Most cash game players don't hold tournament poker in high esteem.

fulltilt sponsors a huge number of players 99% of even regular poker amateurs have never heard of. watch the final table of ANY tournament on tv. at least half of them will be wearing logos more logos than jim furyk.

golf tournaments are perfect the way they are. two days to figure out whos playing good and who isnt regardless of if they are a big name or not. no free rides. no byes. moving day for those that make the cut. and the dramatics that can be final rounds.

obviously its not a freeroll for these guys even though they are rich, otherwise you wouldnt see so much choking on sundays.

Didn't they have some kind of golf event with poker style wagering about 2 years ago on TV??? It was mildly entertaining. They used USGA Handicaps which is always weird because there are SOOOOOO many sandbaggers out there.

fulltilt sponsors a huge number of players 99% of even regular poker amateurs have never heard of. watch the final table of ANY tournament on tv. at least half of them will be wearing logos more logos than jim furyk.

The majority of tourney players do not have any kind of sponsorship. There are the so-called red letter pro's that fulltilt sponsors: the big names, the no-names that have won online, guys who have placed well in the past. The level of sponsorship is different for each group. Fulltilt, pokerstars, UB, and ABP only pay entry fees for a very select group of players, the rest only receive minor support, and other bs goodies geared towards online play.

You are suppose to have at least 100-200 buy-ins to play 10k buy-in events, and there is absolutely noway that that the online poker rooms are fetching that bill. Some players form syndicates, and play the same bankroll.

The beat your foursome to move on format would be really awesome. It would force a lot of action, and truly test players.

The majority of tourney players do not have any kind of sponsorship. There are the so-called red letter pro's that fulltilt sponsors: the big names, the no-names that have won online, guys who have placed well in the past. The level of sponsorship is different for each group. Fulltilt, pokerstars, UB, and ABP only pay entry fees for a very select group of players, the rest only receive minor support, and other bs goodies geared towards online play.

You are suppose to have at least 100-200 buy-ins to play 10k buy-in events, and there is absolutely noway that that the online poker rooms are fetching that bill. Some players form syndicates, and play the same bankroll.

The beat your foursome to move on format would be really awesome. It would force a lot of action, and truly test players.

all i said was sponsored/endorsed, not that they were paying their entry fees. you need to work on that reading comp yourself.

all i said was sponsored/endorsed, not that they were paying their entry fees. you need to work on that reading comp yourself.

Meh...

The original poster said: why not make golfers put up their own money like poker. You attempted to make a point about how poker players have sponsors, and endorsements, too. How can you even compare the two? You have to realize that only the top 5% of poker tourney players have sponsors, and endorsements. I hope you aren't counting the guys that win an online satellite, who get a hat, a t-shirt, and a one time entrance fee. Only that tiny 5% can survive off endorsements, the rest have to grind. The majority of poker pros make their living from side games, and play tourneys for fun.

The now defunct ADT event on the LPGA is similar to a SNG Shootout. I hate how golf allows players to straggle, and still make a living. I guess it is no different than riding the bench in a professional sport, and making the league minimum. I often argue with friends about sucky players like Charles Howell, who never wins, and only places.

Last edited:
I wouldn't like to see a large entry fee. It's always nice to see the "David's" go out and knock off some of the "Goliath's". If they are playing in the PGA they have already earned their entrance fee.

I wouldn't like to see a large entry fee. It's always nice to see the "David's" go out and knock off some of the "Goliath's". If they are playing in the PGA they have already earned their entrance fee.

I don't want that either! I just want to see more variety. The beat your foursome concept would only change the make the cut and place concept. I only mentioned poker bankroll requirements because of Future's post.

how about having 75% of the money going to the top 3 finishers. winner take all wouldnt be fair. tiger would have another billion too fast.

I can't see most of the replies because of my expanding ignore list but SM is pretty much spot on in this thread.

And apparently not that many people know anything about poker. SM is the exception again, of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.