What is most important point on the body (WITHOUT INCLUDING HANDS ARMS)

Status
Not open for further replies.
This might seem like a strange question to some but I am asking what single point on the body is most important in the golf swing if we discount hands/arms. I have an opinion what point on the bodies movement affects the swing the most but I am curious to see what others have to say on this topic (if anything lol.)
Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

S

SteveT

Feet... because that's where all the GRFs (Ground Reaction Forces) are resolved. From static address position to dynamic swinging and then to static finish, all the forces generated show up between the soles of your feet, the soles of your shoes and the ground you are standing on.

Without proper foot actions, you'll be inconsistent and even topple over ... it's the feeet ... believe it. :cool:

Theres two feet involved. The thread was intended to make folks choose one point. I guess the question is which foot lol.
I know what I currently think it is but it's cool to hear different opinions.
Thanks.

S

SteveT

Theres two feet involved. The thread was intended to make folks choose one point. I guess the question is which foot lol.
I know what I currently think it is but it's cool to hear different opinions.
Thanks.

Humanity is normally bilateral ... as is the golfswing... well, somewhat... and my second choice would have been my lead hand pinky finger ...:D

Male or female LOL I never thought about gender but it wouldn't change my answer. Would it change yours and if so what do you think?

Male or female LOL I never thought about gender but it wouldn't change my answer. Would it change yours and if so what do you think?
I've heard some talk about different pelvic girdle formation whatever between women and men that makes them out of necessity swing differently.

Brian Manzella

Administrator
Maybe you missed this one: http://www.brianmanzella.com/golfing-discussions/16579-what-i-teach-body-do-through-ball.html

I teach a LOT of lower body in my golf lessons. Pelvis area.

"The Business"....the move that I physically get golfers (who don't already do it) to do through impact, is a multi-move that includes some hip slide, hip rotation, back extension, and some torso tilting.

Way more than half of the folks that work with me, get the treatment at least some of the time in lessons.

That would make it pretty important.

Next move that gets taught the most is some amount of the "candy cane" hip movement in the transition.

Last but not least is getting off the left leg on the backswing.

So, for me at least, a big win for the pelvis.

Thanks for the link to the thread there.

When I posted this thread I had the left shoulder in mind for my own point cuz I think its so important but the pelvis does support everything above...

S

SteveT

Thanks for the link to the thread there.

When I posted this thread I had the left shoulder in mind for my own point cuz I think its so important but the pelvis does support everything above...

But the legs and feet support the pelvis... so shouldn't they be equally if not moreso important? Pelvis ain't goin' anywhere without the legs and feet...!!!!

Steve,

The thing is in my view the left arm is the primary lever and I can make a lot of moves with my legs/hips and keep my shoulders still. To me the next most important thing after hands arms is the point that swings the primary lever.
It seems to me like left shoulder moves directly affect hand position because left arm is stretched straight during the swing therefore it has a heck of an effect.
But Brian really makes the best point because when you have the pivot action to support and drive the shoulders in particular the lead one it really makes the swing. I know when I am swinging well it feels like the left shoulder turn is what brings the shaft into line with my left arm.

S

SteveT

grahler.... your terminology is non-scientific; it's totally subjective. How can I or anybody explain the kinetic and kinematic sequencing within the golfswing if you still depend on snapshot analysis of what you think you feel?

Yes, the lead arm is initially levered from the top of the swing, but once it starts to unwind and swing around the lead shoulder it does no work as Brian noted too. So what is it doing and how does it affect your golfswing? What is the lead shoulder doing when it torques around the torso axis? And what is the rear arm and shoulder doing to the club?

It's all fully explained by Zick, Nesbit and Mackenzie in their scientific paper. Sorry, but I can't confirm nor contradict your 'feel' because your feel is ... 'yours'.

LOL I never asked you Steve to explain anything to me about any of your opinions on golf science. I only pointed out the importance of the movement of the lead shoulder in the swing. Think what happens as it moves the left arm and the power via centripetal force. Stall it and see what happens.

Brian Manzella

Administrator
I used to teach the left shoulder as the "area" that swings the arms.

I do not much anymore.

But if it works for you....

It OBVIOUSLY is a very important area of the swing.

Folks need to be able to utilize its ability to move further than the torso at both the top, and to & through impact.

Status
Not open for further replies.