What is the worst thing you have done cuz it looked good on video?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am an amateur hobbyist trying to learn more about golf of course with the intent to improve my game. I think there are a lot of folks like me out there. I used video a lot last year with my own game. I tried for months to change a right elbow position just to make it LOOK more like Ben Hogans right elbow. I basically wrecked my full swing for the time I was trying to make that change. I finally realized there was no logical reason to change my game based on appearance of my swing on video.
I thought it might be fun to share stories about working on your game or if some of the pros around dare to admit mistakes made because of using video.
I am now convinced form follows function.

S

SteveT

Congratulations on your wise revelation, and in the words of that great and iconic golfer "Popeye", who put it best:

"I yam what I yam, and that's all what I yam!!!!!"

I chased elbow plane about same time I was chasing super pitch elbow rofl made my scores go UP-no bueno for me.
I am curious Brian about what you mean by neat and tidy pivot from face on.

Last edited:
This was pretty shameful:
bateman_mirror.jpg

Best unintentional question in a long time.
images

Lordosis, micro moves, the Snead squat, and...

Ignoring the safety rules.

DSC01252.jpg

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
I chased elbow plane about same time I was chasing super pitch elbow rofl made my scores go UP-no bueno for me.
I am curious Brian about what you mean by neat and tidy pivot from face on.

I think he means restricting range of motion to "look" cleaner and more "efficient". Sexy at p10.

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
Probably the only thing that I chased briefly was a flatter left wrist past impact to look better on video. I hit it so much worse it didn't last long but I tried nonetheless strictly based on video.

fadegolfer

About 6 years ago I worked on getting perfect Haney parallel lines back and through, because it looked good on video and in his book. But all that did was help me to get the full swing yips for a while until i came to my senses. I went from making matchplay in 2 USGA events to having very tough time breaking 80 in tournaments for a while.

I have never advised modifying techinique because it "looked better" on video. I only modify technique to achieve a more optimal collision. I once taught for a large chain of indoor lessons centers. Mostly, they teach for a specific "look" on video. I remember having a disagreement with the Director of Instruction. He said that he could make a bad swing and hit a "good" shot. I said that, by definition, a swing which produces the desired ball flight IS a "good" swing. I moved on.

Of course, I DO use video to diagnose and chronicle advised technique modifications. Incredibly useful tool, video, IF you know what you're doing.

I have never advised modifying techinique because it "looked better" on video. I only modify technique to achieve a more optimal collision. I once taught for a large chain of indoor lessons centers. Mostly, they teach for a specific "look" on video. I remember having a disagreement with the Director of Instruction. He said that he could make a bad swing and hit a "good" shot. I said that, by definition, a swing which produces the desired ball flight IS a "good" swing. I moved on.

Of course, I DO use video to diagnose and chronicle advised technique modifications. Incredibly useful tool, video, IF you know what you're doing.
I almost went to a center like that a while back. Glad I didn't, and kudos to you for leaving them.

sure looked good with the lines

I spent about a year and a half with an instructor who thought the most important thing was to "stay in posture."

We drew lines on the screen and I had to make sure I stayed on the lines through the entire swing. Looked good when I could do it but I never hit it better. Eventually when golf wasn't fun anymore I moved on.

400-1.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.