What is this swing flaw called?

Status
Not open for further replies.
2qwog7k.png

The red line is where my right hip was at address.
The image is taken at top of backswing.
Clearly my right hip is nowhere near the red line at top of backswing and is in fact moving further away...I am almost falling to the left.

Is this a reverse pivot?
Presumably 'best practice' would have my right hip staying against the red line?

Footnote - after identifying this 'problem' I made some swings trying to keep right hip against the red line. Instant improvement in clubhead speed (+3mph), lower AoA (from about 4.1* to 3.1* using 7 iron), much better contact/smash factor.

Thanks.

Geoff,

Your on to it, but...

From a different perspective.

Look to knee flexion in your sequence.

I have no problem with your right hip regarding red line.

Try and think how the pelvis gets moved from the ground up.

Study DJ's knee flexion and "level" beltline and report back.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/3z21Egh2G1w" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Geoff,

Your on to it, but...

From a different perspective.

Look to knee flexion in your sequence.

I have no problem with your right hip regarding red line.

Try and think how the pelvis gets moved from the ground up.

Study DJ's knee flexion and "level" beltline and report back.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/3z21Egh2G1w" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Rick,

When looking at DJ this is what I see..

1. A left knee that hardly flexes....mine collapses.
2. A left knee that has minimal inward rotation during backswing...mine is pointing well behind the ball.
3. A near level beltline...mine is higher at right hip (presumably because of left knee collapsing rather than anything else)

If I can create a "stronger" (i.e. more stable) left knee, then better things might start to happen????
Another swing thought I am having success with is to really STAND on that right foot, but its likely the effect of this contingent upon the left knee being more stable.

Geoff, can't play your vid, but did notice...

DJ's shoulder turn (in the backswing) is very separate from his (small) hip turn.

art

New
2qwog7k.png

The red line is where my right hip was at address.
The image is taken at top of backswing.
Clearly my right hip is nowhere near the red line at top of backswing and is in fact moving further away...I am almost falling to the left.

Is this a reverse pivot?
Presumably 'best practice' would have my right hip staying against the red line?

Footnote - after identifying this 'problem' I made some swings trying to keep right hip against the red line. Instant improvement in clubhead speed (+3mph), lower AoA (from about 4.1* to 3.1* using 7 iron), much better contact/smash factor.

Thanks.

Dear Geoff,

WOW, what happened to your work with BBKIB ??

I continue to test on golfers of all capabilities, and it always helps.

Fortunately for me, every encounter results in a unique discussion as to what constitutes the Bumpy being Back, and that wide variation of the golfers understanding sent me 'back to the COMMUNICATION drawing board'. So here is a much clearer consensus definition and more correct way for putting the Bumpy Back. Please try it again before changing anything else with your set up and swing.

Simply ROTATE the rear hip clockwise and slightly up until the slack has been taken out of the rear hip joint (internal rotation move for a right handed golfer).

I apologize to ALL who I may have misled by describing this final setup position as "Bumpy BACK", I will be explaining and rewriting the details as I communicate with the golf Education and Instruction communities during the rest of this year.

If those still on this site are interested, I will re-post the clearer instructions.

Sincerely,
Art

Last edited:
Art,

Good to hear from you. BBKIB got ignored as i focused exclusivelyon getting an on-plane takeaway. That focus obviously needs to be expanded.

One of the challenges when using BBKIB is the FEEL that it results in closed hips (and to some extend shoulders also) at address...for someone who can't get hips past square at impact, this was/is always disconcerting.

BBKIB retains a place on my list of 'things to do' at both address and downswing/impact. I am happy to contribute to developing the most easily comprehendible BBKIb set of instructions.

66i4c8.png

The good: I was able to significantly reduce the amount of movement in my left knee. I definitely hit the ball ALOT better this afternoon and an improved left knee is the reason why.

The so-so: I can get my right hip to stay against the red line...but not all the time. More work required.

The no-good: even on those swings when my right hip does stay against the red line, I still fall/drift towards the target.

Brian's 'backing up the hips' phrase now makes sense....its like I am reversing (like in a car) into the target. It's some sort of really bad weight shift...and right now, I have no clue what's causing it or how to fix it.

If you put your feet together and make swings with the club can you do it without having your butt swiveling all over the place?

- you are trying to keep the dynamic loft down?

Saw your youtube video: 6 balls within 59 seconds....so much tension left in the body after impact......

Yes I am conscious of keeping dynamic loft down. If swinging well, my 7-iron average would be 18-19*, well above the PGA average of 16*...a poor swing will be as high as 22*....so yes it i something I keep a closeeye on.

You think there is tension left in the body after impact, you should feel it before impact :)

If you put your feet together and make swings with the club can you do it without having your butt swiveling all over the place?

I will report back.

My suggestion ... buy MJ's video on ground reaction forces.

Had exactly the same thought yesterday as I was trialling ways of reducing left knee movement. WHY? Because the best feel for me to keep the left knee more stable, was to apply an anti-clockwise force with left foot whilst my body was rotating clockwise. That made me think about all of MJs GRF stuff that I have never properly understood.

Applying an anti-clockwise rotational force to left foot whilst body is rotating clockwise...is that what is called a shearing force?

Last edited:
Yes I am conscious of keeping dynamic loft down. If swinging well, my 7-iron average would be 18-19*, well above the PGA average of 16*...a poor swing will be as high as 22*....so yes it i something I keep a closeeye on.

You think there is tension left in the body after impact, you should feel it before impact :)

I will report back.

Had exactly the same thought yesterday as I was trialling ways of reducing left knee movement. WHY? Because the best feel for me to keep the left knee more stable, was to apply an anti-clockwise force with left foot whilst my body was rotating clockwise. That made me think about all of MJs GRF stuff that I have never properly understood.

Applying an anti-clockwise rotational force to left foot whilst body is rotating clockwise...is that what is called a shearing force?

Sort of Geoff. Better, I think, to call it GRF torque. Apply pressure anti-clockwise and this results in a clockwise torque. Apply clockwise GRF to start the transition and this results in an anti-clockwise torque. I find that the first restricts the hip turn and gets me setup nicely over the trail leg ... and arms don't fly out. The second brings the arms down very quickly and on a good path. Feel is compact and powerful ... not loose and floppy. Things happen a lot faster.

Geoff, You are doing precisely what Shawn Clement (YouTube's mest prolific instructor) says you should be doing with your backside.
Your body may be smarter than you think...... I'm just saying.

Sort of Geoff. Better, I think, to call it GRF torque. Apply pressure anti-clockwise and this results in a clockwise torque. Apply clockwise GRF to start the transition and this results in an anti-clockwise torque. I find that the first restricts the hip turn and gets me setup nicely over the trail leg ... and arms don't fly out. The second brings the arms down very quickly and on a good path. Feel is compact and powerful ... not loose and floppy. Things happen a lot faster.

Have just re-read some of MJs GRF stuff...My thoughts above about decreasing movement of my left knee were achieved by a rotational, anti-clockwise pressure with left foot. In other words, trying to rotatemy left foot to the left

So let me see if I have this correct...best practice would be:
1. Anticlockwise pressure with left foot (i.e. trying to slide foot away from target line) to start backswing.
2. Clockwise pressure with left foot (i.e. trying to slide foot towards target line) to start downswing...or is this one better conceived as 'anti-clockwise pressure (i.e. trying to slide foot away from target line) to start downswing???

Just playing around in the lounge room and there is absolutely no doubt that I have been applying clockwise pressure with my left foot early in the backswing.

Last edited:
Geoff, You are doing precisely what Shawn Clement (YouTube's mest prolific instructor) says you should be doing with your backside.
Your body may be smarter than you think...... I'm just saying.

I'm flattered...but i i don't think my version of his advice is doing me any favors.

Status
Not open for further replies.