What Kind of Release is this? & Can an effective swing include no deceleration?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brian Manzella

Administrator
Brian,
Why do you keep wanting to measure the unitary pelvis when I told you, over private message, that I want to see markers on each of the hips? Remember my example about how when there's separate markers on each wrist we're able to see that the hands don't have a unified movement, velocity, and or acceleration? Don't dip on dimming some light on the complexity.

I'd like to be able to do several tests, if this one is possible, why not do it.

Brian Manzella

Administrator
The way busy internet forums go, at some point threads run their course. The time has come for this one as well.

My main points on this thread were as follows:

1. You can't classify anything accurately as complex as the "release" by looking at stills, or video. You need six degree of freedom 3D. That is what is used in serious golf research, like the kind done recently by Dr. Kwon and Chris Como and our often-used research of Sasho MacKenzie and Steven Nesbit.

2. In every six degrees of freedom report—or even just regular 3D—that I have ever seen since Mike McTiegue had the first system at the PGA Show almost 20 years ago, it has shown that the pelvis (hips) (after reaching max speed mid-to-late downswing pre-impact) is in a slowing down mode the rest of the way to impact. Some golfers, like the Rory Mcillroy 6 degree of freedom 3D posted a few pages back, slow the hips down rapidly. Some, less rapidly, but all noticeably slowing.

There are other folks in golf land that disagree with the hip slow down and even disagree with the marker capture systems.

Since I have a student with a +5 handicap and about 115+ mph clubhead speed that wants to have his swing captured on a high-end 3D system, and Dr. Wurzer and Art Maffei both have suggested that all interested parties get together for a capture/analysis session, and they are in Southern Cal, not too far from the major manufacturers and research universities. We are going to set up a day for some 3D + other technology session. Also, Billy McKinney is close by and may have another high-end student to capture.

Anyone is invited to attend. My student and I are going no matter what, running tests and having a blast learning about the swing.

We will video the session and post it on this site.

Status
Not open for further replies.