What makes you take a divot?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What makes a golfer take divot. is a question I would like to know. Is it your body,hands, arms, knees. Years ago when I first started playing I had a video of some teacher saying he was at a teachers convention and drop $100 bucks on the table and said to the other teachers I bet $100 buck noone knows what makes one take a divot,and noone paid attention to him. Well his answer was the knees.
what is your take on this?

A divot is created when the low point of the swing is in front of the ball. The clubhead is travelling downward (angle of attack) and it collides with the ball first, ground second. Simple as that.

Obviously, based on my observations of golf swings over a lot of years, not that easy to do. If you have this particular problem, buy "Confessions of a Former Flipper" on this site.

What causes this? A correct golf swing. The discussion of whether it's the hands, the knees, etc. is what this forum is all about.

Blow-hard

Sounds like that guy was a bit much. We all know it's best to hit the little ball before you hit the big ball. Many variables in play while one tries to accomplish this feat...including governing the angles--in 3 dimensions-- of virtually every joint in the body..not just the knees...he should put his $100.00 toward a lesson from Brian.

Last edited:
Sounds like that guy was a bit much. We all know it's best to hit the little ball before you hit the big ball. Many variables in play while one tries to accomplish this feat...including governing the angles--in 3 dimensions-- of virtually every joint in the body..not just the knees...he should put his $100.00 toward a lesson from Brian.

Well, yes I too believe that this is the common theory. But the million dollar question is how do we consistently achieve this? Or rather how do one develop consistent ball striking at impact so as to create a good divot?

I am sure that this information would be valuable for all golfers and I believe that guy who dropped the $100 is trying to look for it too.

Not a million dollars at all! $9.99 web version or $24.99 for the DVD!!

C.O.A.F.F.

Seriously

I wasn't a hack before I got it but I did miss some divots (and place them in the wrong spot behind the ball!) but now I am pretty darn consistent with that. And believe me when you have a wet lie or a sandy lie where it is vital to strike the ball first it makes all the difference in the world!

Steve

Not a million dollars at all! $9.99 web version or $24.99 for the DVD!!

C.O.A.F.F.

Seriously

I wasn't a hack before I got it but I did miss some divots (and place them in the wrong spot behind the ball!) but now I am pretty darn consistent with that. And believe me when you have a wet lie or a sandy lie where it is vital to strike the ball first it makes all the difference in the world!

Steve

Ha ha ha.... what a coincidence. It occured to me that the answer lies in COAFF and I have just finished viewing it again. Yup, it's a million dollar question but the answer can be found for just 9.99 :D

COAFF is not just the answer. I can guarantee you if you swing too inside you will still have problems making divots even with a flat left wrist. There is so much more to this than just one thing you could write a college thesis on this very topic.

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
If you have a flat left wrist at impact and have hard time taking even a "scrape" of a divot (which would indicate a very forward ball position) than you are WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY too inside/out.

With a flat left wrist, a closed enough face, and no manipulation of your low point you will take a divot. Divots will tend to be shallower as the loft gets less; if they don't you are too steep on those lower lofted clubs.

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
At first, learn to use the right arm correctly and at the right time straightening it thru the ball without straightening the right wrist.

coff made easy for me to take divots and i do a lot of punch shot with it. Almost like a stinger. Whenever I'm nervous, i think of COFF and made golf much easier.

OK, I re watched c.o.f.f again and brian mentions to pivot within your body.what thought do I have in my mind,strenum ,belly button,please explain and I think I finally understand how to pivot correctly.

A clubface (throughout the swing) that is not too open + COFF and you should be fine.

If not then the path is likely an issue. (too inside-out)

OK, I re watched c.o.f.f again and brian mentions to pivot within your body.what thought do I have in my mind,strenum ,belly button,please explain and I think I finally understand how to pivot correctly.

All I ever focus on as the "initiator" is my left shoulder. Throughout. (backswing AND downswing)

For now, it is the lead car on the train, baby. The one with the engine. What the hell do you call it? (I know the caboose is in the...rear)

Though I experiment with everything--personally--I latched onto this one very easily. So I can't really relate to NOT relating to it. But who knows...maybe you just need something else. (or something else first)

Basically, when I first heard Brian talk about "left shoulder up" it clicked and I integrated it and that was that. And it was about the time when I was into a backswing twistaway...and was hitting hooks with it...so...

(it fit me, as a hooker...cause I had just fixed my too open clubface and was working my release and my pivot/tilt, etc.)

(slicers don't really need "l.s. up" right off the bat if you catch my drift)

When I really want to make a real full turn I turn the back of my left shoulder as far as I can.

And I think if you are loose and swing your loose arms from your loose shoulders and really SWING that club (in the true sense of the word- and also all TGM definitions aside) it can be another piece to help put all of this together...

...to get that "wallop with the pivot" everyone is looking for...and you may be looking for. (throwout action i.e. shoot the marble out of the tube with your pivot)

P.S. Lagging Clubhead Takeaway and "back and fourth drill."

P.P.S. assuming your clubface is fine, try a bunch of stuff in COFF and then personalize. AKA customize.

Last edited:
Interestingly enough this exact question came up in a golf for beginners class I was helping with last night.

30 beginners were lined up on the teeline swinging away and to the delight of every greenskeeper in the world, not a single blade of grass was being displaced.

The students just could not understand how to take a divot and still hit the ball.

The simple explanation that I used to help them was using your pivot (we say step on the left foot and turn the belly button towards the target) to move your arms and club to the ball while maintaining a bent right wrist (or left for students on the wrong side of the ball :) )

Status
Not open for further replies.