What tends to happen when hands are too high at address?

Status
Not open for further replies.
For the instructors out there, actually for anybody who knows, do you know what tendencies you are likely to see if you set up with your hands too high at address? (i.e. both hands are uncocked at address). I think that I tend to do this with my short irons without even realizing at the time that I am doing it.

theres no real rule of thumb. its very much personal, and dependent on what your trying to do. the higher your hands, in relation to the swing plane, then the club is more 'in-line' or inside your hands. having said that, low hands can let the club get sucked in abit, so raising the hands can make the club go a little straighter back. alot of players set the right forearm on plane, have higher hands and hit fades like steve stricker and johan edfors and brian gay.

so no real definitive answer unfortunately

For the instructors out there, actually for anybody who knows, do you know what tendencies you are likely to see if you set up with your hands too high at address? (i.e. both hands are uncocked at address). I think that I tend to do this with my short irons without even realizing at the time that I am doing it.

Hi bendet,

No instructor here....just some thoughts.

Hands too high at address. I tend to agree with pecky here. Less accumulator I would think would tend to result in less swivel on the backswing - so, I would say you might be a little overplane. The lower the hands I would think would result in a more inside takeaway.

But then again, if you take PP#3 to the top - from whatever plane you set up on, wouldnt that be onplane?

Sorry...thinking out loud here.

Still thinking.

Smoke coming out now....

Of my ears....

Uh oh.

Good question.

Brian Manzella

Administrator
Great Question!

Your Hands are TOO HIGH if you can't hit it as good from there.

There is a FAD of very high hands in TGM land. I have fixed many of these golfers, and they ALL HIT IT BETTER.

In general, you don't want an UN-COCKED left wrist at address.

What problems does an un-cocked left wrist at address lead to Brian?

I know I feel happier with my current irons that are flatter than my previous ones....

You're one busy guy but on a forum mission today :D

Brian Manzella

Administrator
What problems does an un-cocked left wrist at address lead to Brian?

Un-Golf-like J-U-N-K.

Makes me think of...Laid Off, No pivot, hovering backswing, with a way inside-out path, and a check swing, cut-off, blocked, cut finish.

Sorry...better now. :eek:

I know I feel happier with my current irons that are flatter than my previous ones....

Great.

Un-less you fall into the group that went flat because no matter how much you use a "un-golf-likecheck swing, cut-off, blocked, cut finish," 11° inside-out won't give you anything but hooks.

You're one busy guy but on a forum mission today :D

Airport layovers are great for forum posting.

Finding leaks in walls—not so good. :D

ps...i'll get to your web lesson soon.

For those with high hands, do you get that way because your setting up with the visual of needing to see the club's leading edge flat against the turf?

I know, when I set up with my hands, neither cocked or uncocked, just sort of neutral, the toe is up off the ground and it sometimes affects my setup.

Brian Manzella

Administrator
How would you describe Moe Norman's left wrist condition at address?

Slightly uncocked.

The STIFF ARMS make it look like the hands are higher than they are.

Playing with a Fred Couple model, including high-ish hands, I played my best golf in 1994-95.

But, I pivoted on the backswing. Had a slight lagging takeaway. And looked golf-like.

I don't know any other way to explain how bad the fad high hands looks.

Maybe Mike Jacobs could elaborate.

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
I know, when I set up with my hands, neither cocked or uncocked, just sort of neutral, the toe is up off the ground and it sometimes affects my setup.

The toe should be slightly "up" at address if you have a neutral hand setup and are fit for lie angle. That is because during the swing, the toe will "droop" down.

Status
Not open for further replies.