What would anyone do with Tiger

Status
Not open for further replies.

EdZ

New
Brian already summed that one up well - he isn't in/up/back enough - the hands are too far in front and away from his body, which means he has to time his downswing move, rather than just swinging through the shot

He needs the strap treatment again ;)

hue

New
My former coach and former Leadbetter partner Denis Pugh was on Sky TV discussing Tiger's problems last week. He put it down to Tiger not having a cupped left wrist at the top. He said you can't feel the club on the downswing with a flat or arched lead wrist at the top. Tiger's problem was that he had a flat lead wrist at the top. I have asked my friend who has sky to tape this and other joke bits of instruction advice that Pugh and Scott Cranfield come up with. Brian: When I get a bit more I will send you the tape.

Hue,
some people don't like an arched left wrist. Leadbetter (or Pugh) have been teaching golf long enough to know that an arched front wrist has advantages AND disadvantages. Pugh feels that it's more difficult to feel the club (and the swing) on the downswing. I've heard the same thing, too from different instructors who teach golfers of all levels. There's even an instructor, or two, that have had plenty of exposure to TGM, who don't think that an arched front wrist is absolutely necessary.

hue

New
pixie: Did you see the show on Sky also? Denis also demonstrated the the defence against the "dangers " of the late hit by introducing club head throw away just after transition. He also demonstrated a flip wrist move that he says you should do as you go through the ball and not a flat lead wrist bent right wrist position until both arms are straight in the followthrough. This guy is a tour coach. He may have been teaching golf a long time but if you know a little about TGM and saw the show it is difficult to believe that this guy knows what he is talking about. I know a guy that has lessons with him and he demostrated the throwaway move he teaches last time we were at a range. He said that I had too much lag and too late a release and that Denis would teach that out of me if I had lessons with him. The advice he gave has to be seen to be believed. My friend taped it because he has seen Brian's tape "Do it right" and said Pugh advises the opposite to what Brian teaches and they can't both be right.

Hue,
I'm ashamed to say that I only have 5 TV channels. I used to have Sky, but found that I watched TV too much. I just thought of Leadbetter and some other instructors who have said that an arched wrist is not compulsory. And Leadbetter even said that it helps some amateurs.

A little while ago, I saw a former LPGA player. She won about 7 tournaments including a major. The woman was old and maybe Brian would think her knowledge of golf was limited, but she told me that she released her right hand on the downswing before impact. But at impact her left hand was flat, and the right hand still had a bend in it. She liked to swing a lot with just her left hand on the club. And one of her keys was to see the finges of the front hand again when the club was again parallel after impact (at 3 o'clock).

hue

New
Pixie: If she had a flat left wrist at impact she did not release her trail hand too much. At the top you have more right wrist bend than you do at impact maybe this is what she means by releasing the right hand. What these good players say and do are often very different as is feel and real.

ej20

New
Tiger,when he was with Butch had a really strong left hand grip..which neccesitated a slightly cupped left wrist in order to keep the clubface square.That slight cupped looking left wrist in all probability felt flat to Tiger due to the strong grip.

He now seems to be going a different direction with a more neutral grip,which requires a flatter looking left wrist to maintain a square clubface.

Both method achieves the same goal...square clubface..therefore should have the same "feel",no?

Dr_J

New
i don't understand releasing the trail wrist in the impact zone. What possible power advantage could that give you. Not much if any. And the inconsistency it breeds can kill a good swing. When I come home from work I always put my keys in the same place and keep them there so I always know where they are. I think I will adopt the same principle for my trail right wrist. That way i always know where it is, no guessing.

I was raised by a very loving, but oft-demanding father who, because I worked for and with him after college, still exerted a good bit of control over my life. I silently rebelled and resented what I thought was his heavy-handedness, but now as a successful 41 year old businessman and father of 3, I often draw upon "what would daddy do" as a guide to when in doubt. there is a passage a son goes through with such a father, that as he matures and matches up to the father, conflict arises. Marriage and other relationships, plus the ravages of time on the fathers health, can cause further separation. But I see today in my dad the wisdom I could never see back then.
Forget Butch Harmon, fiance, whoever. go back to Earl and say these painful words, "Dad, I have gotten off track. What should I do?"

There is also the old saying "Your daughter is your daughter for the rest of her life. Your son is your son until he takes a wife."

quote:Originally posted by hue

Pixie: If she had a flat left wrist at impact she did not release her trail hand too much. At the top you have more right wrist bend than you do at impact maybe this is what she means by releasing the right hand. What these good players say and do are often very different as is feel and real.
Yes, she obviously had more bend at the top of the backswing than at impact.
Plus, her feeling of being able to see the lower fingers of her front hand when the club was parallel to the ground again after impact (during her left hand only drill) seems to explain the typical swing pictures of the pros, better than the TGM swinging explanation.

You guys have some issues with father figures etc.
Tiger merely needs to go back to what fundamentals got him where he was over the last two or three years and stop trying to be a hero.
He will come off a poor round and refuse to admit he had problems. Parting from Butch will be the death of his success.
Tiger is all about image and has forgotten his humility; happens to all great athletes and it is usually their doom.

Status
Not open for further replies.