Whatever happened to the O'Grady-ites?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I used to work at a driving range where Mac O'Grady (Mr. O'Grady, he insists on being called) would come out and teach a few people along side one of his disciples, Bob Lasken (a friend of mine for 25 years). There was a lot of talk about P-this and P-that and we all know he taught a very early re-cocking and right anchor.
Anyway, you don't see that pattern out there much since power golf came back in style. You do see Tiger working on sustaining those impact alignments well into the finish. Vijay does the same.
Just an observation.

Brian Manzella

Administrator
MORAD was taught everywhere when I started to teach in Louisville, because that's Jodie Mudd's hometown.

I have to fix all of these poor souls who sliced it off the earth and a Mac-ite moved their hands lower and got their knees all bent and never really addressed the clubface.

I have PLENTY to say about this, and I have, just do a search.

his takeawy he teaches is exactly the same as tomasello, he does talk about the clubface and also the left wrist being flat, also he doesnt really talk about low hands its just a result from being bent over from the waist more. and btw its pretty much sam snead allignments

He INSISTS on "Mr. O'Grady"? lol....

"Nonono you've got it all wrong. Call me MR. O'Grady."

Ahahahahaha.....I can't picture someone saying that.

well ill say first hand he has never told me that, i just call him mac and i have never seen him ask or act wierd if anyone calls him by mac. there is alot of rumors about mac and his teaching out there some truth but you only have to look at his swing to see what he teaches because he constantly compares your swing with his and he has better alighnments than anyone

Can't wait for Brian's next post. I mean MR. Manzella's.
"Alignment golf smothers position golf".
Don't get me wrong, MORAD has some good stuff. But I think
we should be looking at his motor control more than the positions.
Snead was also a superior athlete and could have won 100 tournaments
from an open stance and a late load just as easily.

the positions are used just to check your alignments when you are looking at it on video they are just used so you have a standard way to communicate about different times during the swing

>he constantly compares your swing with his and he has better alighnments than anyone

I know the early set swing as good as Mac, I believe. And I didn't learn it from TGM, rather thru
my own research.

Joddie Mudd, when I saw him, did not accomplish the early set swing correctly. He was offplane
almost almost immediately. Not because of lack of talent. But because he wasn't doing what
he should have be taught.

I'll add, it seems strange to me to compare this swing with TW's, VJ's, or Sneads.
Of course, any valid swing model will share certain elements, but taxonomically,
the differences are important.

Re: slicing, done correctly, the ball does not slice. It goes straight or whatever you
intend to do

What is interesting is to understand the evolutionary differences between this swing and say, Hogan's.
Or Moe Norman's. Or ANY swing.

bantemben, I don't think Tomasello did the early set swing correctly or referred to it in depth, but I may be wrong. Please email me.

I learned the early set swing by trying to get swing plane angles right. It's not easy to do unless certain simple things are accomplished. It's a minefield, but then minefields also surround other swing models. Nevertheless, once correct pathways are established, one can swing with confidence. Later, in another venue, I'll have a lot to say about the early set swing.

Bantemben and David Alford...

You guys are great!!!!

Brian...Thanks for allowing the MORAD threads to exist!!!

I concur that there are many benefits to MORAD models that are being taught by Semit-Trained MORADists....I am a Fully-trained MORADist except I only use it and TGM "background info" so that i can "Customize" a golf stroke to the "STUDENTS INTENTIONS NOT THE INSTRUCTORS INTENTIONS"....The bottom line is what does the student want,need, and can accomplish....

BTW any of you critics bashing MORAD...who have never ever been to a Symposium ...all your banter is just heresay...YOU have NO FRIGGIN IDEA what Mac can and does teach...SO you watched a tape or watched him give a lesson...BIG Deal.....Come off the hip ...spend some dough go find out what he teaches then.....bash the **** out of him if you want...At the very least you're a first hand eye witness.....

This is the very reason I do not critique Mr. Manzella...I have never seen him teach....I DO look forward to that opportunity...I'm sure I will learn something!!!

"spend some dough go find out what he teaches"

A LOT of dough - $2500, and I hear that he doesn't take just "anybody".

MJ

You're right ...A LOTTA Dough...I spent enough with him that could buy an island in the 1000 Islands of the St Lawrence Seaway...

BUT it was worth every dime...helped me make enough dough to afford to keep my family fed!!!

Just like I intend to spend some dough and time with Mr. Manzella...once I get the time away from the University...

the early set is just something mac chooses to do it is just part of his personal swing model and all it is is just taking it up the hands only plane for the first part of the swing

Bono

New
quote:Originally posted by billmckinneygolf
Bob Lasken (a friend of mine for 25 years).
Nice guy. I conversed with him a few years back via email. Good dude in my book!

There was a lot of talk about P-this and P-that and we all know he taught a very early re-cocking and right anchor.
p1-p10 i believe. While not a Mac advocate and while i do not approve of all of his methods - there certainly is more then one way to skin the cat. I have video of him teaching tour players - Seve in his prime, so personally I wouldnt discount his teaching altogether. Far as I know (and thats not alot), Mac prefers a rotary swing for throwout....

Bill...can you clarify 'recocking' on the downswing? You mean like Sergio?

Anyway, you don't see that pattern out there much since power golf came back in style. You do see Tiger working on sustaining those impact alignments well into the finish. Vijay does the same.
Just an observation.

I am confused. I know Mac loved onplane and releasing #2 coupled with alot or rotary action. See above please...might help me understand better.

Thanks Bill!

Right. Not re-cocking on the Downswing..but in the follow-through.
STEERING. There, I said it. Position golf. Eeeuuuww. Supposedly,
he wanted to sue Leadbetter for stealing his ideas.

Status
Not open for further replies.