When is handle draggin okay?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I still use some of my ancient TGM/ MORAD drills when working on my wedge game. For me, a strong grip and some drag has always been a good combination for effective trajectory control with the wedges. Thank god I figured out how to coast the pivot, accelerate the lead arm, and go late negative alpha as the club got longer..

coach

New
Hey Rich,
Like to come out one day soon and spend some time looking over your set up and talk a little bit. Send you PM later to see what works best.

I disagree on the punch outs.

I got to the point where I couldn't get them in the air.

Handle-Dragging is toxic.

Been there too Brian, I used to use 4 and 5 irons and hit low punch shots under tree limbs to get back to the fairway, but somehow I started dragging more and more and soon a 4 and 5 iron couldn't clear the rough so I started punching out with a 7 iron.

I believe handle dragging developed in response to stop the beginner from slicing the ball so much and its very easy for teachers to teach this way and golfers can "feel good" if you nail the shot without regard to any optimization of impact conditions.

Of course, if you don't like the impact conditions generated by machines like Trackman and Flightscope, question the machines and don't put up your own theory of ballflight/impact. That's what almost always happens in history. Somebody says the masses are wrong, a few change, the masses beat their drum louder and attack the methodology and thereafter, the masses finally convert.

Last edited:

Brian Manzella

Administrator
No question that TGM brought about the Handle-Dragging era, with a big help from the advent of the video camcorder with decent shutter speed, starting with the Sony V9.

41aak%2Bq9nbL._SS500_.jpg

jimmyt

New
Originally Posted by hp12c
On my chips and short pitches.

woah!! no no no, hp distance control is very difficult handle dragging, even short chips release the club head a little and apply whatever spin you want with ease.

Couldn't agree more.....The whole concept behind the tour chip is to use the bounce, which means hands need to be back and you must release club. To me if you handle drag your hands are to far forward at impact and not only does the club tend to dig and is also delofted, which is why distance control is suspect.......

Review the Tour chip concept.

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
woah!! no no no, hp distance control is very difficult handle dragging, even short chips release the club head a little and apply whatever spin you want with ease.

That doesn't mean it's not a valid "shot" Sometimes you want too for some reason. Short game is more art and shot needed at the time.

Lindsey and I have been talking about this and that never looked good on video to me. I wish I knew why the shaft up the left arm past impact looks good to anyone??

Look, it's hard to get past "the look" --->/. . For me, I always associated forward lean at impact as a way to hit the ball solid. The thought that the face was more "exposed" to the ball with forward lean has always made sense. So it would follow, that the further you can carry this alignment through and past impact the greater the probability for consistency.

The new information over the last few years has changed my opinion, but I will always love the way those pics look, even if they aren't optimal. I aint perfect, I just am.

Just to be clear I don't think "forever forward" is optimal

Last edited:

66er

New
That doesn't mean it's not a valid "shot" Sometimes you want too for some reason. Short game is more art and shot needed at the time.
Sure but then in that case handle dragging is ok in every shot, by your logic, do anything it's a valid shot. Easier, more efficient = don't handle drag on short pitches and chip shots.

What about on the so called "stinger." From what I understand it is a delofting of the clubface with a shallow AoA. Seems to me that it would be easiest to accomplish this with handle drag.

Status
Not open for further replies.