When it all goes bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quite often on the course lately my swing has been going really well, then it just goes to hell. For example, the other day for the first three holes I did really well, and my partners were commenting on what I great swing I had. Then I suddenly felt that I lost my correct axis tilt, it's almost like I forget how to do it, I might tilt and not shift weight, or I might turn without the tilt., This of course causes me to bottom out early which in turn gets compounded by me gradually moving the ball further back to make contact, hitting more at the ball and lose my extension through the ball. The only way I find I can get it back, is to get home and do everything in front of the mirror. Are there any drills or swing thoughts that you can think of that could get me back on track on the course? This is killing me.

Not sure of any drills. Maybe feel that your head is staying back in the transition. I would think the most important thing for you to do is really train this new swing motion on the range. The mirror is great, but you need to hit a lot of balls doing it correctly on the range before it will become closer to automatic.

Matt

Last edited:
mrodock said:
Not sure of any drills. Maybe feel that your hand is staying back from the top. I would think the most important thing for you to do is really train this new swing motion on the range. The mirror is great, but you need to hit a lot of balls doing it correctly on the range before it will become closer to automatic.

Matt
Thanks Matt, I will continue to hit the range, and try keeping my hand more at the top as a swing thought. I was also thinking of Brians towel drill on the pivot, but I think I would look a total idiot on the course hitting by bag with a towel :)

Little Brit,

Please reread my post, I made an error and fixed it. Also, do a search for Brian's Perfect Pivot articles. Also take note of where Brian talks about axis tilt in his Mike Austin analysis. On page 20 I have written the text of the audio, do a search for "axis tilt, axis tilt."

Matt

Brian Manzella

Administrator
You need to learn to hit an "out shot."

The best one is an ON PURPOSE CUT SHOT.

It'll serve you well.

Here's how to do it:

Line up LEFT ENOUGH to hit the inside back of the ball and start the ball right and cut in into the middle of the fairway or green.

Then HIT the inside back of the ball with a more open than normal clubface, that FEELS LIKE IT IS CAUSED BY more axis tilt than normal.

Don't let the toe pass the heel!

Brian Manzella said:

It'll serve you well.

Here's how to do it:

Line up LEFT ENOUGH to hit the inside back of the ball and start the ball right and cut in into the middle of the fairway or green.

Then HIT the inside back of the ball with a more open than normal clubface, that FEELS LIKE IT IS CAUSED BY more axis tilt than normal.

This is excellent advice for all golfers, especially tournament players. A punch cut is usually the easiest shot to repeat when a person is struggling I believe.

Matt

Brian Manzella said:

It'll serve you well.

Here's how to do it:

Thanks Brian, I will head out and try that :)

Partly this is happening, I think, because I have been working on keeping my arms from coming too inside on the backswing so I am coming from a different position at the top of the backswing and therefore starting down feels different.

mrodock said:
Little Brit,

Please reread my post, I made an error and fixed it. Also, do a search for Brian's Perfect Pivot articles. Also take note of where Brian talks about axis tilt in his Mike Austin analysis. On page 20 I have written the text of the audio, do a search for "axis tilt, axis tilt."

Matt
Ok, I have read and seen them a few times, but definately a few times more will help I'm sure.

Brian - correction?

Brian - in your 'cut shot' reply, you said ' line up left enough to start the ball 'RIGHT' of the target and then cut it. I believe you meant start the ball 'LEFT' of the target and then cut it

I hit this shot on Friday - ball on slight downslope - in a slight divot - 170 yds to back right pin - green slightly above (plays to +5 yds). Green is a 'redan' with opening on left front - bunkers in front and back. Plane line to 15 yds left of green opening - 'held off' clubface to start the ball in at left front edge - spun it 10yds right in the air - landed in center and and finished 15 ' from the hole. Wish I counld do that on the 'plain vanilla' shots I have.

Bruce

Well do I feel like an idiot. I have found my problem. I have been working very hard on "hitting the ball with my pivot' with my pitch and chip shots, working from Brian's DVDs. Mainly in my garden, not so much at the range. So I hadn't realised that for my full shots I hadn't changed my ball position forward to accommmodate my full swing. During the round to make contact I was moving the ball further and further back, of course the round got worse the further I went. What I needed to do was move it a lot more forward. At the range I moved it up as far as my left heel, and everything went straight again. :) It wasn't my axit tilt at all.

I am still having a little trouble with my fairway metals of the turf though. Not bad but could be better. Am I still supposed to hit down on them, only try to hit down less?? The swing feels very different.

Yes, hit down on the fairway woods! Think Lee Trevino. It is not cooincidental that he was a phenomenal fairway wood player. Think about the difference between the divot between a 9 iron and 3 iron. A fairway wood is not far from a 3 iron, so divot should be similar.

Matt

Last edited:
mrodock said:
Yes, hit down on the fairway woods! Think Lee Trevino. It is not cooincidental that he was a phenomenal fairway wood player. Think about the difference between the divot between a 9 iron and 3 iron. A fairway wood is not far from a 3 iron, so divot should be simlar.

Matt
Thanks Matt, I don't own a 3 iron, but I will just imagine a smaller divot. Hopefully that will work :)

Ya there's definitely a slight downward blow. You shouldn't expect to rip a divot like a short irons. The ball IS sitting on the ground tho. Imagine hitting one off the cart path. You sure wouldn't want to hit UP.

3 wood divot

I went to the Buick Open yesterday and was front and center to watch TIGER hit some 3 woods on different tees. He teed the ball up a little and took a NICE divot infront of the tee w/ a very clearly desending blow. Took a larger divot than I actually expected to see. Think of a typical 4-5 iron divot, it was like that.

Dustin said:
I went to the Buick Open yesterday and was front and center to watch TIGER hit some 3 woods on different tees. He teed the ball up a little and took a NICE divot infront of the tee w/ a very clearly desending blow. Took a larger divot than I actually expected to see. Think of a typical 4-5 iron divot, it was like that.
Funny that you should say that. I was watching the Buick on TV and they showed Tigers 5 wood swing in slo. mo. and it clearly showed him take a fairly large divot. :) I was also trying to tell how much he uses his right shoulder down plane, but it was hard to tell. I wish I had taped it.

Dustin said:
And lucky you. I would have loved to have been there.

Status
Not open for further replies.