Where do you feel PP#3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Simple question, I think. Where *exactly* on your right index finger do you feel PP#3?

Ideally, I would like a picture of a hand, or your hand, with a dot on it that shows me exactly where you feel it.

The reason I ask is this: If I put what I think is PP#3 on the back of the shaft, my right hand grip is very weak.

Here is a picture you could use if helpful: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Humanpalm.JPG

Hand anatomical language--you should feel the pressure between the MCP(metacarpalphalangeal joint) and the PIP(proximal interphalangeal joint) on the second proximal phalangeal bone.

When you make a fist it is between the big knuckle and the middle knuckle of the pionter finger.

Are you supposed to feel it along the side of the finger (between the big knuckle and the middle knuckle of the pointer finger) or on the underside of the pointer finger (palm side)?

Thanks,
p

I believe that I feel it on the palm side when done correctly so that your right wrist is still bent(extended). This is the feel of lagging the sweetspot with twistaway on the downswing.

To be perfectly honest, I have never monitored PP#3 in a golf shot (+2 hdcp, nothing too special). That does not mean that I don't think it has a lot of importance, but I just have never used it myself...

you can feel the pressure along the whole area that is touching the grip of the club(letters a-g). As mjstrong says, it is only a feel not really a part of the swing.

Ok. it is different for me.

Depending on how strong or weak my right hand grip is, I can move the pressure up or down the finger.

For a really weak grip, I get toward A. For a really strong grip, I move toward G.

The source of my confusion is that people often refer to this as a "trigger finger." For it to feel like that, like pulling a trigger, would mean moving the pressure toward A, or toward a very weak right hand grip.

For me to get that trigger feeling means that the V of my right hand points almost to my left shoulder. That just seemed wrong. So, I could not understand why people call it the "trigger finger."

The "trigger" finger is a static description of how the finger looks on the shaft--it is bent as if you were pulling a trigger--it is NOT an action that is done during the swing. It is a passive feel. Search for the Manzella neutral grip and you will find that the right hand V will point pretty straight toward your head which will allow you to feel the pp3 in the "trigger" finger position. in fact, look at the picture of the NSA video cover and you can see how his right hand in on the club.

KnighT,

The first time I feel the pressure is during the waggle. I try to sense it there and rehearse tracing that point to the ball during the waggle. I can control where on the finger I sense it by changing my right hand grip (strong or weak).

I don't feel it again until start down from the top of the backswing.

I understand that I am not trying to squeeze there. I am trying to be accurate about how I put my right hand on the club and this seemed a good way to measure it.

With a neutral grip you will most of the pressure right in the middle D-E on your diagram. Have you tried hitting shots with your right thumb off the club? This will really increase the feel of the right index finger.

Status
Not open for further replies.