Where does the "up" in the thru-swing come from?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been pondering this a bit lately. We have a "down-out-forward" downswing and an "up-and-in" thru swing. What makes up the "up" component of the thru-swing? I would think the "in" is pretty much a function of the club being tethered to the grip. Is the "up" a physically controlled motion, a function of the pivot, or is it simply a result of the momentum/direction of the club on the downswing?

I realize the ball is gone after impact but I think the thru swing is a very telling piece of the motion and dictates (or indicates) a lot about what happened previously.

Umm, the simple answer: the finite length of the golf club and arms while swinging mostly on an arc in an inclined plane.

I don't know if I understand your question, it seems too simple.

Yea.... it does seem simple. But - you can see totally different thru swing motions when compared to the downswin. Hogan looks flat into the ball but super upright post impact. Is swinging on an arc into the ball the defining factor when it comes to the arc that happens after the ball is gone? Seems too simple. Does coming into impact at a 45 degree angle (dtl view) dictate a similar 45 degree exit into the finish? If it doesn't then is something amiss?

dbl

New
Momentum?

Consider the old club toss, where you let go of the club after hitting an imaginary ball..the club goes a flying.

But since in a regular swing the club is attached to your arms which are not elastic, and you have mass and weight to resist the club, it gets forced into an orbit around your shoulder joints...and...the club rises

Status
Not open for further replies.