Who hits a 2 Hybrid?

Status
Not open for further replies.
...and what role does it play? Off the tee for safety. Off the deck? What is the difference between your 2-hybrid ball flight and your fairway wood?

Dariusz J.

...and what role does it play? Off the tee for safety. Off the deck? What is the difference between your 2-hybrid ball flight and your fairway wood?

I use a hybrid #2 iron (19* loft). It is the most versatile club in my bag. I can hit from the tee on long par 3s, very easy to hit from the deck, easy to hit with a small rough (for you from normal rough) or fairway bunkers. Excellent for low long punch shots under branches. One may even chip or putt with it, but I do not use it.

Cheers

I have one that is 20* and I love it. It fills the gap between my 4 iron and my 3 wood.. I use it some off the tee when I have to find the fairway. It works great off the deck. It works in the rough MUCH better than a fairway wood. For me the ball flight is generally lower than my fairway wood but with more spin to give it some bite when it hits the green. Also a great lay-up club to get nearer on par 5's that can't be reached because it tends to fly A LOT straighter than the fairway wood.

I am thinking of purchasing three hybrids: 23*, 20* and 17*. I refer to these as 4H, 3H and 2H respectively. Note sure if the 17* would be in my bag each week or at every course I play.

The 4H and 3H will replace the 4 iron and 3 iron. LM testing demonstrates that I maintain my 10-11m gap through the bag when I use the hybrids. the gaps get smaller when using the 3 and 4 irons

I am thinking the 2H might be the 'have to hit the fairway off the tee' option.

Last edited:

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
I have the Titleist 910H 2H...17* stock, allows me to adjust it up or down a bit to create a nice long iron off the tee or closer to a 3H.

910H - Titleist.com

I generally keep it as 17* and use it as a long iron off the tee or i'll reduce it to 16.25* and use it off the tee a lot on shorter courses or if i know i need it to get to shorter par 5's in too.

It's a very versatile club.

2 Hybrid

I play a Taylor Made Rescue 17. I hit this off the tee on short par 4's and off the deck on par 5's.

I even use it from a fairway bunker with a decent lie. and for chipping around the green.

I just got one. Older model, but it's VERY good. Mizuno FliHi CLK 17*. Even has an X100. I don't think it's possible to hit it left. Ditched my gap wedge to put it in the bag. Mainly use it as a driving iron, good for a nice 235 off the tee. Hits a bit shorter than my 3 wood. I just use it for in between 3 wood and 3 iron distances. I needed something to cover that more than a gap wedge. 210-250 is a pretty big gap.

Hybrids are great, but my only caution is getting them too long. IMO they are at there best when they replace the corresponding longer irons specs (predominantly in length of club) by being easier to hit with higher launching softer landing shots. But like every other club, OEMs are creeping them longer and longer towards small headed fairway woods.

Status
Not open for further replies.