Who is a Method Teacher for?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been a member of this forum for less than a year and have also played golf for around the same time. While not being a "seasoned veteran" of the golf swing and the game, I still have managed to really play damn well over the last couple of months and I've learned an unbelievable amount of information in a very short time. I've had success in taking one lesson with the host of this forum and with an academy instructor. I've actually managed to gain the ability to diagnose my own swing issues, fix them and put the fixes in play all by my lonesome(with the help of the forum occasionally). I've tinkered ALOT and have found a pattern that really suits me and a pattern that I'll stick with for awhile. BTW, the pattern I settled on isn't exactly what Brian and I talked about so... I ask all the single pattern teachers out there. Why should I come to you for a golf lesson? Please help me understand why you teach this way:confused: Thank you for your responses.

Hey VJ, don't want to derail your thread... but I'm curious for benchmarking purposes... where are you at the moment in terms of ability/handicap?

What's your best 9 / 18?

I think you've contributed a lot to the forum in the last year and have always raised interesting issues, hope your improvement continues and you're shooting under par soon!

I hope to share your answers with my friends and golf partners who I play with here to show what can be achieved in 1 year by a beginner who has access to good information and is willing to put in the work.

Cheers.

Really good athletes with a high golf IQ. Those guys that can pickup things very easily and picking up a swing pattern isn't that difficult for them.

3JACK

Hey VJ, don't want to derail your thread... but I'm curious for benchmarking purposes... where are you at the moment in terms of ability/handicap?

What's your best 9 / 18?

I think you've contributed a lot to the forum in the last year and have always raised interesting issues, hope your improvement continues and you're shooting under par soon!

I hope to share your answers with my friends and golf partners who I play with here to show what can be achieved in 1 year by a beginner who has access to good information and is willing to put in the work.

Cheers.

That's very fair to benchmark it. My highest 18 hole score was a 106, the third time I played 18 holes back in early April. The lowest 18 hole score I've ever had was 3 days ago and I shot a 71. I honestly don't record the scores in the system at my club as much as I should, but it's usually due to the fact that I simply forget to do it. The last couple of months when people ask me what I play off of I tell them a 6.

That's very fair to benchmark it. My highest 18 hole score was a 106, the third time I played 18 holes back in early April. The lowest 18 hole score I've ever had was 3 days ago and I shot a 71. I honestly don't record the scores in the system at my club as much as I should, but it's usually due to the fact that I simply forget to do it. The last couple of months when people ask me what I play off of I tell them a 6.

Sandbagger;)

Great accomplishment. You can always post online if you forget at the club.

So...you guys agree with Rich. Athletic and a high golf IQ?? I would like to hear from some teachers out there that admittedly teach one pattern to all. Just for the record, I think that it's perfectly fine, and in some cases might be advantageous to teach one pattern, given the right circumstance and people. Things that come to mind are like, junior academys, circumstances where you may need more "structure", if that makes sense.

You got to 6 in ONE F***ING YEAR?? :eek: I know that envy is one of the Seven Deadly Sins but you are really pushing my limit. VJ, you are making it very hard for the rest of the student class to like you. ;)

Most golfers that succeed with method teachers usually are going to a teacher that increases their power. There are some whose method, if done right, can increase accuracy and consistency, but usually it's a power thing and it takes quite a bit of athleticism to get those components of the pattern down.

3JACK

I'm not a golf instructor, but am a teacher through a couple of professions. I think teaching one method comes down to a few reasons. 1) That's how they learned it, so that's how they teach it. 2) There are less things to worry about analyzing or teaching when sticking to one method. 3) They feel that is the best way to hit a golf ball. If you go to a couple of different doctors for a say a back injury, say a surgeon and a physiatrist--the physiatrist will probably give you exercises to do and make sure your back is moving functionally. The surgeon will probably recommend surgery. Each may be right or both may be right, they just do what they do.

Who is a method teacher for? Anyone who wants to learn it.

By the way, awesome accomplishment in 1 year. Did you start by just hitting balls or did you get lessons while learning?

Last edited:
Teaching golf is like teaching anything. Thinking back to school, my physics teacher was a flat-out genius, but sometimes he couldn't work out why some people in the class didn't just 'get' stuff like fluid mechanics. Quite often, the guy that it doesn't come to naturally will be better at helping other people down that path. They will have been in the same boat and will have used some analogy or other method of grasping a concept that they can explain and share.

Its legit, I believe it. Its possible. I picked up golf at 13 and broke par at 15.

I don't doubt it's true. I have a nephew who joined the Air Force and started golfing on his days off since it was free on the base courses. He was scratch in about a year too.

I'm just wondering if he had hands-on instruction during the process. Unlike me and many others who just go out and try and hit balls with flawed swings that may have been ingrained by another sport or mis-perceived by watching others.

I wish I could go back and get good instruction while learning the golf swing.

Last edited:

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
Oh, no doubt. My post was a quickie. There's probably a few envious of his quick start. Now comes the hard part....shaving those last strokes off the handicap.

I had 3 lessons with Kevin and I spent a day with Brian. I appreciate everyone's praise, but I really wasn't looking to turn it into a look at me thread. I am looking for more opinions on the original question. Where are all the method teachers here? Thanks for anymore ideas and opinions.

I had 3 lessons with Kevin and I spent a day with Brian. I appreciate everyone's praise, but I really wasn't looking to turn it into a look at me thread. I am looking for more opinions on the original question. Where are all the method teachers here? Thanks for anymore ideas and opinions.

My fault VJ - sorry about that.

I would speculate that Christians had more chance versus the lions in the Colosseum than the method teachers versus the custom teachers winning a debate on this forum.

Perhaps a similar question in a different forum would reap more dividends! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.