Why did this work for Jack??

Status
Not open for further replies.

tank

New
That is exactly the way I have learned to move the ball. The initial ball direction is influenced by your alignment and club path, and the curvature of the ball flight is influenced by the club-face orientation at separation.

More skilled players can manipulate the ball with their hands, but Jack's Method is easier IMO.

I agree with S-M, it's less easy with balls that are designed to go as straight as possible.

Last edited:

dbl

New
Go back to 1:12 in the video for his fade. His feet were pointing to the trees and the face was therefore less open than that. The ball seemed to start right of the cartpath (about where it was looking) and then fade into the fairway. Seems about standard.

So the bottomline is perhaps that his verbal explanation didn't entirely match his action. There were some nuances he didn't highlight. And the green graphics also didn't do squidly for communication, imo.

you can have a perfectly square grip and square clubface at address, and still hit a big draw/hook if your path is severly inside-out or outside-in. because then the club face becomes closed or open in relation to the path of the swing. when you open or close your stance and square the face to the target, this creates a position so the path will be inside-out or outside-in in relation to the target line, and the face is open/closed to that path. so the face does govern the curvature of the ball, but the path governs how open/closed the face is

That is exactly the way I have learned to move the ball. The initial ball direction is influenced by your alignment and club path, and the curvature of the ball flight is influenced by the club-face orientation at separation.

More skilled players can manipulate the ball with their hands, but Jack's Method is easier IMO.

I agree with S-M, it's less easy with balls that are designed to go as straight as possible.

Although it's the way you learned, it's technically incorrect. Wherever the face is aimed at separation, that is generally where the ball starts out flying. The curvature is determined by the divergent path of the clubhead through the ball.

A . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . B . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . C

If the clubhead is aimed at B at separation, and the path is toward C, the ball will start barely right of B and curve towards A. Scientific studies have proven this, and I believe Brian concurs as well.

Last edited:

tank

New
I think we are in agreement

Although it's the way you learned, it's technically incorrect. Wherever the face is aimed at separation, that is generally where the ball starts out flying. The curvature is determined by the divergent path of the clubhead through the ball.

A . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . B . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . C

If the clubhead is aimed at B at separation, and the path is toward C, the ball will start barely right of B and curve towards A. Scientific studies have proven this, and I believe Brian concurs as well.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong ... but I believe what Brian stated was:

A ............. B ............. C ............. D ............. E

Considering your target is C

To hit a fade to the target (C) : Align your body to A, Align the club face to B, and swing along your body alignment.

To hit a draw to the target (C) : Align your body to E, Align the club face to D, and swing along your body alignment.

That is what I understood Jack to be saying. Aim left with an open face to fade, and aim right with a closed face to draw.

MEH...That is exactly what Jack was saying.

Things I don't do:

Disagree with Jack Nicklaus.
Bet against Tiger or Ochoa.
Wear my hat in the house, or spit in the wind.

Never pickup a bargirl in S.E.A.

What I was suggesting is that his closed face at address ( closed to his stance line) is often misinterpreted as aiming it at the target ...and stance line where you want the ball to start... that gets suggested in alot of books etc.

His face must be only slightly closed to his stance line it seems...definitely not looking at the target/green.

it's what he doesn't tell you that you don't get, he aims the face where he wants the ball to land(which either looks closed or open depending on the shot) then sets his body right or left to swing that direction which is a real easy way to hit the ball both directions, he just moves he just moves to a different spoke on the wheel if you get that.

Guys,
The simple way to remember this is the 80/20 rule..
If you aim your body..

A....................B....x..............C

If you align yourself at "C" and aim your clubface at "B" the ball will set off towards "x" (20 % of the distance between B & C).....and then move from right to left......
Same applies with a fade....

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
Guys,
The simple way to remember this is the 80/20 rule..
If you aim your body..

A....................B....x..............C

If you align yourself at "C" and aim your clubface at "B" the ball will set off towards "x" (20 % of the distance between B & C).....and then move from right to left......
Same applies with a fade....

A.....X..............B...................C

Yup and end up where my X is, way left of B which is where most people think it will end up.

-----------------

Also, what everyone needs to realize is that it doesn't matter where i aim, or where i put the clubface at address. It's about where i make the clubhead go and where the face is at separation.

I could line up perfectly square down a straight fairway, close my stance 30*, close the face 5*, then come over the top and let the face open by the time it gets to the ball and hit a pull fade that ends up in the right rough.

Sure it'd be a goofy looking swinging and i might hurt myself doing it, but i'm just trying to prove a point.

He opens the face to the line he is aiming on,not the straight line to the target from the tee.So its open to line A, ie pointing at B,hence a fade. Thats my take on it

Status
Not open for further replies.