why do balls do such different things?

Status
Not open for further replies.
At our club they use Titleist NXT tours on the range and I noticed that just hitting little pitch shots with a sand wedge in the short game area that the NXT's were going much higher than the PRO V1's I use to play so I pulled out some V1's from my bag and sure enough, they come of the wedge face much lower but with a little more spin, not a crazy amount though.
can anyone explain why this is?
trickyric

Different cores, layers, and covers. Or.... you have a "tour issued" wedge that only works with premium balls.:)

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
At the indoor dome I teach at in the winter they use Srixon kinda soft balls and every so often a harder normal range ball will get in there and its amazing how much higher and less spinny they fly. Its like its a completely different world.

westy

New
At our club they use Titleist NXT tours on the range and I noticed that just hitting little pitch shots with a sand wedge in the short game area that the NXT's were going much higher than the PRO V1's I use to play so I pulled out some V1's from my bag and sure enough, they come of the wedge face much lower but with a little more spin, not a crazy amount though.
can anyone explain why this is?
trickyric
better shear.
friction. sticky ball sticks to the face longer, meaning the two divergent forces of impact interact for a longer period, or at least a better quality period, better grip = more path influence, creating a more optimal shearing force.
ball slips up the face.
like the mass of your car going into a slide on a harder compound tyre. where the wheels point has less influence if the compound is too hard for the situation at hand.
like a bike. mountain bike tires have knobbles, and they stick when going slow around sharp corners. the cervelo in the pic to your left has rock hard rubber that dosent like going around corners as much but loves the path....

the manufacturers in my opinion have it wrong. hackers dont curve the ball too much, they dont control the curve well enough.
hard balls dont curve, meaning they go straight more to where the face where the face points.
if balls were really soft, like say a squash ball as an extreme example, people would learn to control the spin better.

Last edited:
That makes sense to me. As tough as playing with balata and persimmon seems compared to the space age, I hit the ball straighter back in the day. Anybody love hitting wedges with a Tour Edition?

Status
Not open for further replies.