Why do guys disappear after major wins?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Of course David Duval is the poster child for this but there seems to be quite a few guys that no longer show up on the leader boards after they get that major. I can think of two reasons, first it was just a great week for them and they just caught lightning in a bottle or secondly they are content with the security that winning a major brings and lose focus on golf? Just curious what the take is on these players from some of you guys who rub shoulders with the tour players.

Lucas Glover, Stewart Cink, YE Yang, Trevor Immelman, Angel Cabrera, Michael Campbell, Todd Hamilton, Shaun Micheel, Mike Weir, Rich Beem. You could almost throw three time winner Paddy Harrington in there too, but I believe he disappeared because of trying to make swing changes which I guess might be a third reason some of these guys disappear.

And yes I would trade my game for anyone on the list, not trying to bust on these guys just curious why they go away.

Seems like it gets very difficult for them to say "no" to all the opportunitie$ that come that come their way. Especially if they deep down feel like it was a lightning in a bottle type win.

Of course there are no such trappings in the “majors” I compete in so it’s much harder to disappear if you’ve never actually appeared to begin with.

Cabrera came back and won another major after winning his first.....

I think some of it though is they got to the mountain top and decided that to stay there or go further they had to get better and make changes to their swings.

I think with very few it was a complacency thing.

The big head-scratcher is why, after reaching such a milestone, the new major-winner would switch equipment companies ($$$) and suddenly have a new, different set of clubs. Yes, obviously there is the endor$ement deal but, come on, those clubs are the tools of your trade.

Cabrera came back and won another major after winning his first.....

I think some of it though is they got to the mountain top and decided that to stay there or go further they had to get better and make changes to their swings.

I think with very few it was a complacency thing.

I know Cabrera won a second major and it made you think he would be a fixture on leader boards for some time but he disappeared, I wonder if golf is really just a game of putting? He who has the hot putter wins? Atleast at the pga tour level.

Regression to mean.

They got lucky. Their competitors got unlucky. Voila, the next temporary golf God appears.

Drew

Jared Willerson

Super Moderator
Cabrera is the streakiest player in the game. Wouldn't surprise me to see him win another one on a hot streak.

I don't think complacency is much of an issue. Trying too hard, IMO, is the bigger issue. Constantly trying to play to the level that won them the major instead of playing the game the way they always have. For a journeyman type player, trying to live up to an expectation rather than simply understanding the style and type of golfer they are is probably a big adjustment. They probably fight all kinds of internal battles that keep them from showing up on leaderboards more often after a big win.

All golfers live in a state of flux with their games, professionals are no different. The feelings they had when they won a major strangely disappear causing them to doubt their abilities and keeps them from focusing on what they do well. The key for them, IMO, is to understand their game and not nitpick over things that may or may not improve their games.

Everyone always asks the questions, "why would they change". Self doubt is a lot of it and some truly believe they can get better, maybe even feel they need to get better to "prove" themselves a worthy champion. As golfers, we do the same things, shoot a career low with a hot putter and "keep it in front of you" type ball striking and then work to change our swing because that 69 could have been a 66 with better ball striking. Golf is always gnawing at you, tempting you to get better, rarely offering a moment when a player is satisfied with the state of their games. Sometimes it pays off, sometimes it sends you to the abyss.

Here is the truth.

It ain't everything you thought it was gonna be.

It's the grind that is the real fruit. You have to have an almost unattainable goal that you're keenly focused on and then some smaller achievable goals that are considered "no brainers".

It's damned if you do and damned if you don't. I know this from other athletic experiences at a fairly high level and I remember when I attained my ultimate goal. My overwhelming thought was "wow, that's it? That's what I've been besting my ass for, for the last 12 years?"

I agree that major wins are the de facto yardstick for golfing achievement at the very high end. But I disagree that they are the best yardstick of where most players are at - unless and until they elevate themselves into the ranks of multiple, serial major winners.

So, I think you can judge say Jack, Tiger, Tom Watson, Faldo and Norman on major wins. But not Montgomerie or Todd Hamilton.

Darren Clarke was a better player 10 years ago than he is now as Open champion. There are too many players capable of winning a major in any given week - some of whom you will probably never hear of - and luck inevitably plays its part. Compared to any sport which competes in a season long league - 4 rounds on consecutive days isn't a large enough sample for luck to even out across the field.

I agree completely though that some players are better equipped than others to cope with the challenges of contending for a major, and the consequences of doing so successfully.

ISo, I think you can judge say Jack, Tiger, Tom Watson, Faldo and Norman on major wins. But not Montgomerie or Todd Hamilton.
Obviously there are many elements that go into the equation, but I have to say that Birly's mention of Colin Montgomerie Versus Todd Hamilton is about as succinct and trenchant as you can get where this subject is concerned.

Here is the truth.

It ain't everything you thought it was gonna be.

It's the grind that is the real fruit. You have to have an almost unattainable goal that you're keenly focused on and then some smaller achievable goals that are considered "no brainers".

It's damned if you do and damned if you don't. I know this from other athletic experiences at a fairly high level and I remember when I attained my ultimate goal. My overwhelming thought was "wow, that's it? That's what I've been besting my ass for, for the last 12 years?"

Congratulations on your Ohio State Hackey Sack Championship. Well earned, sir. Blood, sweat and tiny bean bags.

Status
Not open for further replies.