Why does reverse tumbling work for some?

Status
Not open for further replies.
As soon I started the "up the wall" backswing with a reverse tumble at transition my ball striking has been transformed.
I am able to free wheel it with no hold back. Earlier in the year I couldn't break 90 to save my life and just recently
shot 80, 76( don't get to play a lot, mainly a range rat these days). As a classic underplane/flipper I resisted trying this in the past as I thought it would only make things worse. But alas I have never hit it this well for this long.

I believe that if you are too steep after transition you'll have to move your hands out toward the ball, because the club shaft is in a steeper inclination that it was at address. This being the case, I think then you'll have less room (think what happens if you move your hands out and steepen the club shaft at address - club sticks into the ground). Without the room to 'fit it in' properly I think you might start to see some of the the over-the-top moves, under plane to hit from the inside, losing posture through impact, etc. I used to do some of these moves, or hit the ball fat...(and was too steep halfway in the downswing)

May be that you shallowed the shaft enough in transition to fix the hand path, and allow the club to swing out to the ball (rather than the hands). From there just naturally a better path into the ball. Counter-intuitive to someone under plane I guess..

footwedge

As soon I started the "up the wall" backswing with a reverse tumble at transition my ball striking has been transformed.
I am able to free wheel it with no hold back. Earlier in the year I couldn't break 90 to save my life and just recently
shot 80, 76( don't get to play a lot, mainly a range rat these days). As a classic underplane/flipper I resisted trying this in the past as I thought it would only make things worse. But alas I have never hit it this well for this long.

Now you can feel where the club is because it feels heavier at transition probably subconsciously, so for some they then instinctively go from reverse tumble to tumble before impact and voila , magic happens, for others they reverse tumble and never tumble again and it's the kiss of death.

Status
Not open for further replies.