why does the golf ball love to roll to the underside? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
my kids, without fail, if they miss anything longer than 10 feet, the ball much more often than not will go to the underside of the hole. comparing with several years ago, on this issue alone, i don't think there has been any break through. same o, same o. it's like,,,you want me to put the ball to the underside? sure!

when i look at better players, even those on TV, it seems that even they tend to miss to the underside more often than the upper side. the longer the putt, the more likely the trend.

How to overcome this perceptual deficit,,,mental block,,,lack of imagination,,,poor sense of reality and gravity? :)

you think it is more psychological than technical? that taking more breaks simply make some people uncomfortable?

ZAP

New
There is some interesting psychological research dealing with this. Seems people see the ball as approaching the hole rather than the hole getting in the way of the rolling ball. This perception leads to more putts being missed on the low side for some reason.

In other words......how would I know?

yes jim, sorry for the confusion.

"Seems people see the ball as approaching the hole rather than the hole getting in the way of the rolling ball. " Eye,,,,now that is interesting!

Last edited:

westy

New
Gravity.

fall lines.
And miss-hits.
Any time you miss-hit it, it wont go as far as you intend.
And finish low.
And people under read by lots.
Invisible break. (D.P)
All that and ..... Fear.

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
speed mostly from my personal experience; if the ball doesn't have the speed to enter from the high side your chances of the making the putt drop dramatically and since most amateurs i teach never hit it hard enough, i'm going with speed being the biggest factor.

Status
Not open for further replies.