Why does this work?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Played with a friend last week that had a tough time chunking his fifty to one hundred yard pitches. Sure enough, after watching him I chunked two fifty yard pitches. Went out to exorcise the demon chili-dip and would still do it every 4th swing. Finally, I decided to freeze my right hip in the downswing. I would not let the right hip move until after impact. It works like a charm. Why? What is happening with my swing that makes freezing the right hip help so much on partial shots?

I am not allowing it to move until after impact. After impact it rotates. I do not like the thought as I have been trying to pivot more, not less on downswing. Nonetheless, it eliminated the chunks with short pitches. I do not have the issue with full shots, where I fully turn my hips from the start of the downswing.

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
You just found a more reliable way to flip it. 99% of the time chunky partial wedges or pitches are due to a very armsy or handsy motion or both.

You just found a more reliable way to flip it. 99% of the time chunky partial wedges or pitches are due to a very armsy or handsy motion or both.

On 50 to 100 yard pitches, I've found that it really helps to grip the club lightly. That allows me to create enough lag for enough forward lean at impact.

Putting the ball way back in your stance promotes more forward lean as well (hitting well before the bottom of the swing arc).

Last edited:

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
Thanks Jim for the response. No doubt either is occurring in my motion. How does one execute the midsole pitch ?

I teach the midsole pitch as such:

It's a standard dandard pitch shot all the way UP to impact, then you just "go dead" and let the clubhead takeover and by doing this you will create a "soft impact" and your left wrist will break through the ball and you'll contact the ground with the middle of the sole instead of the leading edge.

However one shouldn't learn this until they have a good grasp of hitting a hands forward non-left wrist breaking pitch shop.

I teach the midsole pitch as such:

It's a standard dandard pitch shot all the way UP to impact, then you just "go dead" and let the clubhead takeover and by doing this you will create a "soft impact" and your left wrist will break through the ball and you'll contact the ground with the middle of the sole instead of the leading edge.

However one shouldn't learn this until they have a good grasp of hitting a hands forward non-left wrist breaking pitch shop.

I would really emphasize Jim's last point. Until you've learned how to consistently and reliably NOT flip it, it's dangerous to try to learn "tour pitches."

Jim - GREAT explanation of the tour pitch, btw; what you say above is manzella-esque in its lucidity and succinctness.

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
I would really emphasize Jim's last point. Until you've learned how to consistently and reliably NOT flip it, it's dangerous to try to learn "tour pitches."

Jim - GREAT explanation of the tour pitch, btw; what you say above is manzella-esque in its lucidity and succinctness.

Well i have learned almost everything i know from the man, i should sound like him a bit ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.