why the kinematic difference between a bullwhip and a (track & field) shot-putter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
why the kinematic difference between a bullwhip and a (track & field) shot-putter?

you're trying to get the distal end to speed in both instances, correct? so does it depend chiefly on the weight and length (and maybe flexibility) of those segments? if that's true, it seems like a golf swing would fall somewhere in the middle.

to my eye, the shot put looks like almost all body and the bullwhip very little.

ZAP

New
Seems to me that the weight of the implement would have a great deal to do with the sequencing. You would have to be much more "behind" the object with more inertia. Of course I am no biomechanics expert.

The number of segments may come into play as well. I would imagine a shot putter with only a few segments, while a bullwhip may be imagined as having many small segments.

I also think the weight of the segment does come into play: Lighter weight = smaller muscles used, heavier weight = more recruitment needed from bigger muscles (no scientific information to back that up whatsoever). When I'm hitting my son's plastic clubs, I don't think I'd swing the club as fast with a full body turn as I do by just flicking my wrist. Just thinking out loud...

S

SteveT

I suppose you could test your notions if the shot putter held a whip or golf club ....:eek:

I also think the weight of the segment does come into play: Lighter weight = smaller muscles used, heavier weight = more recruitment needed from bigger muscles (no scientific information to back that up whatsoever). When I'm hitting my son's plastic clubs, I don't think I'd swing the club as fast with a full body turn as I do by just flicking my wrist. Just thinking out loud...

this makes me think it also depends on the strength of the athlete. imagine a 20-foot giant, he'd probably swing a 46" driver like you do your son's plastic clubs.

i bet you could have slightly different optimal sequences depending on the weight and length (and shaft flex?) of the club, and also on the strength of the athlete. this might even play into the LPGA vs. PGA thread. the ralph maltby link in that thread recommended very different irons for women than for men.

Status
Not open for further replies.